Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Share |

Is it safe?

When ripping long boards on a table saw, it is not uncommon to have a 2nd man support the outfeed correct? My boss will tell the 2nd man to pull the piece through for the last few inches. I contend that this is unsafe and always use a push stick when i am operating the saw. It is an issue because now my helper has attempted to pull a piece through without me knowing a few times. He thinks it is standard procedure because he saw the boss do it.
Has anyone else seen this technique?

one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
JOATMON

Is it safe?

I do it all the time....in fact, my 10 year old son is good at it....as long as the piece stays flat....no issues. If your worried, then you should have the guard on.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

Is it safe?

If you have someone helping that knows what there doing it's a whole lot easyer for them to pull then for you to push while trying to hold a stick and keep the board down tight to the table.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Is it safe?

I never have a helper available, so I ALWAYS use a roller table (built with a rolling pin) to support the board when ripping long pieces. I push it through with a push stick, but if I had a helper who understood that it is essential to keep the board straight when pulling, no problem.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

Is it safe?

I see. I guess my only problem would be having a helper who knows what they are doing.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Is it safe?

i did a lot of 2x4's, ripping them to 1". i pushed half, and pulled the other half. NO ISSUES what so ever. no helper.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Is it safe?

Ive ripped miles of wood and solid surface on the table saw, this procedure has just never seemed right to me. I will stick to doing it my way... perhaps until i feel comfortable with my helper. Thanks all.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Is it safe?

I hate when a helper decides to start pulling. I want control of the lumber until it exits the saw. When somebody is helping my instructions are that he is to stand there with his palms up and support the material, I will decide where and how fast it goes. If he pulls and runs it crooked or pinches it, there is only one way it's going to go.... towards me.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Jack of all - master none

Is it safe?

The safety issue of pulling, is that you are grabbing onto the board to pull it. Should the blade bind up and yank the wood back (kickback), there is a chance that the helper may have his/her hands be pulled into the saw blade. Also, when you're pulling the board there is a greater chance you're going to curve the cut, leading to a stronger possibility of kickback.

When I have a non-experienced helper holding the outfeed of the board, I make them hold open-palmed, palm up. That way they can't pull or guide the board, just support it. Outfeed rollers are my typical use though.

Search "table saw kickback" on youtube if you want to see some wood go flying.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote