Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Reading glasses

I am looking for a pair of flip up reading glasses.

I used to be able to count the follicles on the tip of my nose, but now my arms are too short to read a book without reading glasses. I use full size reading glasses when working around the house because half rounds have too narrow a field of view. The don't work well if you are looking up for instance. The problem with them is I have to put them on and take them off as I work. This is a nuisance.

I have found large numbers of flip up sun glasses. I have found large numbers of flip up clip on reading glasses. But I don't wear glasses anymore to clip onto. The clip on don't fit well on safety glasses that wrap tightly to the brow. There are flip up hobby magnifiers. These tend to be bulky and seem more suited for sitting at a table due to narrow field of view.

So, has anybody found flip up full lens reading glasses?

mwpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Reading glasses

Check out some fishing supply places.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Reading glasses

Sorry, not familiar with flip up readers.

However, you can find safety glasses with built in cheaters in a variety of strengths. Maybe give them a try? The ones I have have a large spot for magnification.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #4

Reading glasses

The issue is that I need them to read close (instructions, tape measures, etc) but they are in the way for most other tasks. I need the reading lenses to flip up out of the way and not have to take the glasses off and find a place to put them between operations.

Oh well. I may have to put reading lenses in a pair of former flip up sunglasses.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #5

Reading glasses

I found flip-up clip-on reading glasses and attached them to safety glasses. Because of the weight of the clip on lenses and the fact that I tend to sweat a lot when I work, I have a headband to keep them on. If I'm working in a dark area, I add an LED headlamp.

For some reason, this ensemble amuses my wife enormously.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Reading glasses

Look for fishing supplies. You usually can find flip ups that clip to your glasses or a ball cap for 'older' fishermen.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,134

Reading glasses

How about one of those strings people wear around their necks that hold the glasses. You'd still have to take them on and off, but you wouldn't have to find a place to set them.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Reading glasses

Here is my solution. Plain old safety glasses from HD and a set of clip-on flip-up readers I ordered online. I don't have to switch between safeties and seeing. Safeties are on all the time (my old shop teacher would be so proud) The readers flip up with a finger...which is good because walking in readers tends to make me fall over. These things tend to be heavy on the nose, especially with the readers flipped up. They either need a cord or what I do which is to wear a headband (because I sweat like a pig) and tuck the earpieces under that.
Attached Thumbnails
Reading glasses-safety-glasses.jpg  
Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #9

Reading glasses

Check out LeeValley Tools for safety glasses that have a small reading lens fixed in,different strength's available
scarrylarry
scarrylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #10

Reading glasses

But do they work when you're working on the ceiling or laying on your back working on a car? Bifocals only work up close looking down. And they cause me to stumble when I walk because it puts the correction on the ground, distorting the scene.

My druthers would be to get my old young eyes back. But I don't think that's going to happen in this life. (sigh)
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #11

Reading glasses

Go find a reading glasses manufacturer run by somebody who actually wears the things. They may be more open.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #12

Reading glasses

Last month I bought a pair of safety glasses and had the bi-focal added to the top of the lens as well as the bottom. The opthamolagist said they sell these to trades people all the time. Only problem is, don't wear them while walking, only a small center portion of the lens has my regular prescription.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #13

Reading glasses

That was why I wanted flip up readers. I tend to fall over when I walk with readers on. They unfocus where my feet are.

Just for conversation, I've seen mention of glasses with adjustable focus. http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...sumers-report/ Now they need to be connected to a range finder so they auto focus. And the style improved a bit.

Also heard of lab work with flexible lens inserts for cataract surgery. My father had cataract surgery and the replacement lenses corrected serious nearsightnedness to near 20/20. The flexible lenses would allow the eye to focus naturally, effectively providing old people with 20 year old's eyes (or at least lenses) which I sure don't have now. As the old saying goes..."Faster, please."
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #14

Reading glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpiper View Post
But do they work when you're working on the ceiling or laying on your back working on a car? Bifocals only work up close looking down. And they cause me to stumble when I walk because it puts the correction on the ground, distorting the scene.

My druthers would be to get my old young eyes back. But I don't think that's going to happen in this life. (sigh)
My wife laughs like crazy when I put my bi-focals on up-side down for working on ceilings. Not the best option but works for short term use. (I'd prefer my young eyes back as well)
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #15

Reading glasses

My sister doesn't want to go to tri-focals so she puts reading glasses on over her bifocals. I have a picture. But it probably won't make for a good time around the table at Thanksgiving if I posted it.