DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Safety (http://www.diychatroom.com/f45/)
-   -   My first electrical shock - MAN, am I dumb. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f45/my-first-electrical-shock-man-am-i-dumb-44909/)

Leah Frances 05-20-2009 08:35 PM

My first electrical shock - MAN, am I dumb.
 
No burns, no harm, no foul? While trying to force a rec box back into its opening I touched the contacts of the single pole switch.

ZZZZZZZZap.

Tonight I am forcing myself to write on the whiteboard fifty times:
DO NOT DO ANY WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS

jbfan 05-20-2009 08:42 PM

Did you forget to put the note up in front of the panel?

Glad to hear you are ok.

nap 05-20-2009 08:55 PM

did you just add your sig line or was it a prophetic statement from before?

Leah Frances 05-20-2009 09:25 PM

Sig line's been there for months - since the last time I did something stupid.

I DO have my panel box tagged out. I even cut the power when I drilled a hole in wall that I thought some wires might run through (and they did).

Low blood sugar moment? I need some excuse.

mwpiper 05-20-2009 10:08 PM

Repetition can do that too. I was doing dielectric test on a series of big line capacitors. Like 24" long by 12" high and rated at 1,200 V. Megger tested with 500 V. The process was a) remove bus bars, b) test capacitor, c) discharge 500 V charge with a resistor, d) reinstall bus bars.

a, b, c, d
a, b, c, d
.
.
.
a, b, c, d
a, b, d

All I remember is that one moment I was hunched over inside the big piece of equipment getting ready to re-install the bus bar, the next thing I knew I was halfway across the factory going, "What happened?" There was no passage of time between those two points. It definitely got my attention.:eek:

Joe F 05-21-2009 08:44 AM

Experience is a tough teacher, you get the test first, then the lesson.
Glad you're OK.

DangerMouse 05-21-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwpiper (Post 276342)
c) discharge 500 V charge with a resistor

yup, i think c) would be a REAL important thing to not forget! *yeowch*
glad yer still with us!

DM

DUDE! 05-21-2009 06:02 PM

not to encourage you, but I've seen and done myself, run electrical tape around the recepticle before placeing in the box, of course turning off the power first is best.

Leah Frances 05-21-2009 08:39 PM

I've been on the fence about wrapping contacts on recs and switches with electrical tape. I have been known to use it if I was really cramming things in a gang box to make sure nothing shorted side to side. But I don't do it as a rule with a singleton because, well, I HATE it when I open up an old box with a switch wrapped in some gummy tape.

I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...
I WILL NOT WORK ON ENERGIZED CIRCUITS...

KE2KB 05-28-2009 10:00 PM

I have been wrapping all receptacles and switches with tape since forever. I am always leary of the screws holding the recep into the box coming loose. Of course using non-metallic boxes would solve that problem, but not the problem of a misplaced finger.

BTW, how do you "tag out" a residential panel? Do you mean just placing a note on the panel, or a piece of tape over the breaker or what?
I know these cannot be locked out.

FW

md2lgyk 05-29-2009 09:20 AM

My goodness, I got my first shock when I was maybe 12 years old (and many more in the intervening 50 years).

I see you are in Easton. So was I until recently. I still own my house there.

KE2KB 05-29-2009 09:33 AM

I've gotten amazingly few shocks, considering my history of working and playing with electricity.
I am 53 years old and can probably haven't received more than a dozen shocks, most of them on the light side.

The worst ones we used to get as kids were from a defective refrigerator, right across the chest when we touched a steam pipe at the same time as the fridge handle.
Not knowing anything about electricity, my parents didn't realize there was anything wrong with the fridge, so they just taped the handle with electrical tape.

This was no leakage current. It was the full 115V. I recall once having to push a friend off when she got hung. We were very lucky no one was seriously hurt or died!

If there had been GFCI in those days, none of that would have happened. We would have understood that there was a problem because the GFCI would have kept tripping, and called an electrician, who would have told us to get a new refrigerator.
I guess my mom or dad should have called an electrician anyway.

We learn from our mistakes, as long as our mistakes don't kill us!

FW

md2lgyk 05-29-2009 10:24 AM

It's actually been quite a while since my last shocking experience (well, with electricity anyway). I've been doing everything from electronics to house wiring since I was a kid so I guess I'm getting better at working hot.

The worst shock I ever got was when I was in the Navy. While troubleshooting a transmitter problem I got my hand across 2300 volts. Made a nice little hole going in and going out.

drtbk4ever 05-29-2009 11:09 AM

I learned to be scared of electricity as a kid. I got my first shock when I was plugging in something and the prongs were bent. So I took my finger and squeezed the prongs to fit in the outlet and inserted the plug. Zzzaaapp! I remember that lesson everytime I plug something into an outlet.

cabinetman 05-30-2009 09:29 AM

I've welded screw drivers to panels, got zapped by 110V, 220V and 3PH. The worst shock I ever got was when I was a kid and got the juice off a running lawnmower from the little shutoff lever to the sparkplug. Oh wait, there was a time I got whammed by a coil wire off my car, and an AC capacitor. I guess it's a toss up. My arm is just tingling thinking about it.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved