Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Share |

Gas cooktop flush with countertop

While installing new kitchen cabinets, I noticed my floor slopes quite a lot. I ended up with 2" shims under the lowest side. Because of this, if I don't shim the stove, the top of the burner grills will be just about flush with the top of the granite countertop, or maybe 1/4" lower. Is this dangerous? I think the granite should be okay, but I'm concerned about the plywood sub-counter and the side of the cabinet itself (MDF).

I could of course shim the stove higher, but it would reduce the already small gap to the vent hood, plus I like the idea of sliding pots easily between the burner and counter.

Granite isn't installed yet, but this image shows the plywood.

ebalsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #2

#1 If the floor was that far off it should have been dealt with first before any other work was done.
There is no heat hot enough on a stove on the outside to cause a safety issue.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #3

#1 If the floor was that far off it should have been dealt with first before any other work was done.
There is no heat hot enough on a stove on the outside to cause a safety issue, it's going to look like poop if it's not lifted some how.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #4

There is no heat hot enough on a stove on the outside to cause a safety issue, it's just going to look like poop if it's not lifted some how.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #5

There is no heat hot enough on a stove on the outside to cause a safety issue.