DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Safety (http://www.diychatroom.com/f45/)
-   -   Can someone help me identify if these wall sidings are ASBESTOS? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f45/can-someone-help-me-identify-if-these-wall-sidings-asbestos-120291/)

LynniieRockz 10-16-2011 02:49 PM

Can someone help me identify if these wall sidings are ASBESTOS?
 
12 Attachment(s)
Hi.. im really concerned that our house that was made in 1957 has asbestos, part of the house has red wood on the exterior (it looks like wood to me but i dont know) and the rest is vinyl siding. I took a few pictures of the sidings that im afraid it could be asbestos. When we bought the house in 2004 no one told us about asbestos or radon, not even the inspector, i had no clue what those things ment or even how dangerous they could be until now. The only things that the house papers say is that the exterior of the house has vinyl, aluminum, wood and the roof is composition/fiberglass. We dont even know what the insulation is made of, besides our house gets really cold in winter and really dry humid if the ac is not on.

The red parts of the house are all what i think it could be asbestos?

It would really ease my mind if someone could help me identify if they are asbestos material since we've put new windows and we're.afraid we were exposed to it. Also i want to get a an idea of how much would and asbestos inspection cost? Thanks alot!!

Attachment 39646



Attachment 39647



Attachment 39648



Attachment 39649



Attachment 39650



Attachment 39651



Attachment 39652



Attachment 39653



Attachment 39654



Attachment 39655



Attachment 39656



Attachment 39657

Bud Cline 10-16-2011 03:46 PM

That is plywood siding, T1-11 to be exact. All wood no asbestos.:)

Bud Cline 10-16-2011 03:47 PM

The paint however....
is probably full of lead.:yes:

LynniieRockz 10-16-2011 04:40 PM

Thanks alot! i feel a bit better now! i just have to find an inspector to test our insulation..
If it's not so much to ask, if my walls were insulated with asbestos could the fibers be getting into the air through nail holes? :(

Bud Cline 10-16-2011 04:42 PM

What on earth has caused this "Sky Is Falling" frame of mind you are in?:)

LynniieRockz 10-16-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Cline (Post 749947)
What on earth has caused this "Sky Is Falling" frame of mind you are in?:)

:laughing:

Well i been having chest paint for a while:( i have to get this checked out and yes i been leaving it behind:no: that is why i been so paranoid :)

Tom Struble 10-16-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Cline (Post 749909)
The paint however....
is probably full of lead.:yes:


not necessarily:no:

LynniieRockz 10-16-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Struble (Post 750004)
not necessarily:no:

Thanks! i dont think the paint is as old as the house

rusty baker 10-16-2011 08:49 PM

Worrying will do more harm than the lead or asbestos.(if there is any)

LynniieRockz 10-16-2011 08:53 PM

:001_unsure: Yeah.. you're right.. i need to stop worrying, i tend to do it alot.:no:


Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty baker (Post 750123)
Worrying will do more harm than the lead or asbestos.(if there is any)


loneframer 10-16-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynniieRockz (Post 750127)
:001_unsure: Yeah.. you're right.. i need to stop worrying, i tend to do it alot.:no:

If it's any comfort, asbestos siding has little to no risk unless you create a condition that causes airborne fibers. The fibers are used to strengthen the cement in the production process.

As a teenager, working with my dad, we used to cut asbestos laced siding with an abrasive blade, swimming in a cloud of dust. I also used to smoke 2 packs a day, ride motorcycles, binge drink, drive recklessly......

If i were you, I'd stop worrying about dying and worry more about living.

Ever been sky-diving?:laughing:

LynniieRockz 10-16-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loneframer (Post 750135)
If it's any comfort, asbestos siding has little to no risk unless you create a condition that causes airborne fibers. The fibers are used to strengthen the cement in the production process.

As a teenager, working with my dad, we used to cut asbestos laced siding with an abrasive blade, swimming in a cloud of dust. I also used to smoke 2 packs a day, ride motorcycles, binge drink, drive recklessly......

If i were you, I'd stop worrying about dying and worry more about living.

Ever been sky-diving?:laughing:

No i havent :no:
But I really been wanting to though! how funny i worry alot about all of this but not about sky diving and the possibilities of the parachute failing or getting stuck on a tree:laughing:

loneframer 10-16-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynniieRockz (Post 750139)
No i havent :no:
But I really been wanting to though! how funny i worry alot about all of this but not about sky diving and the possibilities of the parachute failing or getting stuck on a tree:laughing:

Well, I don't want to get philosophical, but that's a control thing.

We don't fear the things we have control over, even if it happens to be jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.:laughing:

Bud Cline 10-16-2011 09:56 PM

Here at DIY Chat we also do Psyche evaluations on Wednesdays and open heart surgery on every third Saturday, you just missed the heart surgery for this month but check back.:yes:

southshoreconst 10-22-2011 05:45 PM

How about testing for mold? just to be sure .


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.