Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos Exposure

Howdy all,

I saw another asbestos thread but it was more general than my question, so here it goes:

I recently sanded and refinished all of the floors in my house with a rented professional sander. As part of the process, I ripped up 3 layers of flooring in my kitchen. Linoleum over 1/4" ply over what appears to be vinyl sheets from a long time ago. In order to get the vinyl sheeting up I had to use a scraper on a reciprocating saw and basically break it into lots and lots of little pieces. Then I went back and sanded the black flaky tar-like mastic away to reveal the pine floor underneath (looks beautiful now BTW).
I didn't really think about it until after I was done, but I am pretty sure that the bottom layer was from the asbestos era and had the typical felt backing, etc.

My question is: how big of a deal healthwise is this? I feel stupid for overlooking it. The room was sealed off when I pulled the tile up, but not sealed off when I sanded. I wore a 3m dust mask the entire time that happens to be asbestos rated (yay!).

so:
1: How big of a deal is it healthwise?
2: knowing that the dust from sanding probably floated around my house, is there anything I need to do now? (The AC was off, fan was off, intake vents are still sheeted over with plastic).
3: Assuming I sanded asbestos fibers into the air, how long am I exposed for? forever? until I wetwipe the house/walls a few times?
4: Is a one time asbestos related home construction project like this posing any long term asbestos related health issues?

Thanks for the help!

-Yeagert
yeagert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

Asbestos Exposure

Clean the house well---hepa filter in the vac--damp cloths---and then stop worrying--

The damage is done---the likely hood of lung damage is slim and you won't know for 20 or 30 years if there is a problem.

Many of our older workers in this country worked every day with asbestos --making brake pads--installing steam pipe insulation and spraying on asbestos fire block----while that daily exposure did kill some--it was a fairly small number---

How's that for an answer?
yeagert (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #3

Asbestos Exposure

Thanks to Mike for his post. Anyone else have anything to add? I appreciate all thoughts. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
DIY staff

Asbestos Exposure

I'm sure someone will tell you to head directly to a funeral parlor with a clean suit of clothes and enough cash for a box---

The sky is not falling---but wait---someone will link you to plenty of dooms day sites if that's your nature---or learn from this--and finish the clean up---Mike---
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Asbestos Exposure

Exactly. As a nurse who takes care of people with plenty of lung diseases, the few I have had with asbestos related lung disease had years of unprotected exposure. Oh'mike is right. You wore a mask. If you had an exposure large enough to cause short term effects, you would know it by now. And not enough for Lon term effects
mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

Asbestos Exposure

My whole mothers side of the family worked there whole lives in the Asbestos mines in Eden VT.
My grandfather lived until he was 87 and died of bone cancer, grandmother who hand washed his clothes and worked in the office died at 96.
All my uncles are still going strong and are in there 70's.
So I hardly think you have something to worry about.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #7

Asbestos Exposure

Thanks everyone. You made me feel better. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Asbestos Exposure

I would not have done what you did, but the danger is overblown, just like the lead paint danger.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-23-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #9

Asbestos Exposure

My brother in law worked one year when he was nineteen in the shipyard covering steam pipes with asbestos. Then he became an electrician and never worked with it again. He died when he was forty of asbestos related lung disease.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
gravity always wins

Asbestos Exposure

Sanding and sawing is probably the worst thing you could do to asbestos, BUT, at least it was flooring. First of all, not all flooring contained asbestos. 9x9 tiles were the worst. Sheet materials are hit or miss. Same with the mastic. You might be worrying for nothing. Second, asbestos in flooring materials is encased in a pretty heavy matrix of other materials, so airborne fibers are much less of a possibility. The hearse chaser lawyers who run the mesothelioma class action lawsuit sites have everyone in a panic, but that doesn't mean you want to be stupid either. HEPA vac everything and damp wipe. You are not likely to experience any problems.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote