Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 58
Share |
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


I apologize as I am sure this question has been asked before but I noticed that the places on my wall, and there are some rather large areas, where I used joint compound can still be seen after applying two layers of Cover Stain. Is this normal? And am I to assume that my topcoat would cover this? I would probably be applying the topcoat twice.
MsKitty32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,513
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Should be fine with two coats of paint.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 58
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


So you are saying it is not uncommon to still see the areas of joint compound after two coats of Cover Stain?
MsKitty32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,454
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


CoverStain is not an ideal primer to cover joint compound. It's a specialty primer for stains, nicotine, maybe to dull up glossy paint, etc. It dries way too fast IMO, to really be an effective drywall primer. I would use a DRYWALL primer (see my Profile pic). It soaks into the jc a bit better than CoverStain. And, no, it is not unusual to see your patched areas "flash" through after applying primer. It will even flash through after the first coat of paint, but, if you're using a quality paint, 2 coats will hide it so you would never even know that it was patched.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 763
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty32
So you are saying it is not uncommon to still see the areas of joint compound after two coats of Cover Stain?
It's not uncommon if you put a thin coat on. Or maybe didn't have it stirred up good.

Putting a thin coat on seems to me to be a common DIY tendency. It should have covered to solid white with two full coats.
Maybe try dipping the roller more often.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 58
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Maybe I can hit just those particular spots again with the Cover Stain? Or should I try a different primer such as the Drywall Primer? The reason I used Cover Stain was due to the fact that I had removed wallpaper and wanted to make sure any paste I missed was not going to ruin the paint job.

Also, what is the best material in rollers? I have heard a lot lately on here about microfiber rollers.

Last edited by MsKitty32; 08-28-2013 at 07:14 PM.
MsKitty32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,722
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Primer is just to seal the surface. The actual paint will be better at building up the area to a uniform surface. Coverstain is good stuff but it is overkill for drywall.
__________________
Latex Primer: Good for Drywall, that's about it.
Behr Paint: The plastic buckets are good, that's about it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 763
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty32
Maybe I can hit just those particular spots again with the Cover Stain? Or should I try a different primer such as the Drywall Primer? The reason I used Cover Stain was due to the fact that I had removed wallpaper and wanted to make sure any paste I missed was not going to ruin the paint job.

Also, what is the best material in rollers? I have heard a lot lately on here about microfiber rollers.
You could do just the light spots if you wanted, but unless your finish paint is white it probably wouldn't help a lot.
You have it sealed good, two coats of finish should cover it.

Microfiber rollers are superior IMO
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,230
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty32 View Post
Maybe I can hit just those particular spots again with the Cover Stain? Or should I try a different primer such as the Drywall Primer? The reason I used Cover Stain was due to the fact that I had removed wallpaper and wanted to make sure any paste I missed was not going to ruin the paint job.

Also, what is the best material in rollers? I have heard a lot lately on here about microfiber rollers.
Drywall primer will no longer do you any good, because it's supposed to go on top of drywall/joint compound. Now you're going on top of primer.

The oil based primer was not a bad idea if you had some wallpaper glue residue, but what you should have done is put on that primer, then patched with joint compound, then sealed those areas with a drywall primer.

When you say you can see the joint compound, how do you mean? You can see the color? or the texture? or is it a sheen difference? You solve those 3 problems 3 different ways.

Someone here turned me on to microfiber roller covers and I'm sold.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,512
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Drywall primer will no longer do you any good, because it's supposed to go on top of drywall/joint compound. Now you're going on top of primer.

The oil based primer was not a bad idea if you had some wallpaper glue residue, but what you should have done is put on that primer, then patched with joint compound, then sealed those areas with a drywall primer.

When you say you can see the joint compound, how do you mean? You can see the color? or the texture? or is it a sheen difference? You solve those 3 problems 3 different ways.

Someone here turned me on to microfiber roller covers and I'm sold.
a scientist should use the correct terminology
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,230
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


A professional should just suggest a better answer and not waste time and space with silly witch hunt posts. The amount of time you waste chasing me around is truly sad.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 58
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


It's more of a sheen difference. The rest of the wall is a bit shinier than the areas where the joint compound is.

I did this same thing in another room BUT after I put two coats of Cover Stain on I put a coat of Coronado Super Kote 5000 Interior Primer on and didn't notice this. This time I didn't use the Coronado because I thought maybe I was overkilling the primer and wasting money.

I will remember the order of events - CS, JC, Drywall Primer - next time as I'm sure there will be one.
MsKitty32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
Member
 
cdaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 377
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
a scientist should use the correct terminology
__________________
Charlie Daniels painting and repair
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
Member
 
cdaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 377
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty32 View Post
Maybe I can hit just those particular spots again with the Cover Stain? Or should I try a different primer such as the Drywall Primer? The reason I used Cover Stain was due to the fact that I had removed wallpaper and wanted to make sure any paste I missed was not going to ruin the paint job.

Also, what is the best material in rollers? I have heard a lot lately on here about microfiber rollers.
MsKitty primers are tools.one coat of any primer is all you need if it's the right tool for the job.Don't worry about seeing through a primer it's purpose isn't hiding that's what paint does.
__________________
Charlie Daniels painting and repair
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdaniels For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,512
Default

Zinsser Cover Stain


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
A professional should just suggest a better answer and not waste time and space with silly witch hunt posts. The amount of time you waste chasing me around is truly sad.

I do not chase anybody around, you are right here. A better answer does not contain the word "glue" as a real scientist would understand
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attaching patio cover to the top of cinder block wall robertwallace Building & Construction 7 07-10-2012 10:22 PM
Cover modification for older Murray service panel JeffT Electrical 2 05-29-2012 10:43 PM
Best stain for cedar siding pgreef Painting 17 07-08-2011 10:43 AM
Deck stain project gone bad - HELP brownnl Painting 13 03-15-2011 01:57 PM
Fixing a screwup - stain on oak plywood brich Carpentry 9 05-13-2010 11:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.