Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 518

Zinsser 123 dry time question

I purchased Zinsser 123 to prime the walls of a newly constructed laundry room (new drywall). In the store, I was mistakenly reading the container for Zinsser Zero. Zero has 2 days time to full dryness.

The label for 123 says 7 days for full cure time. I was really hoping to prime during the week and paint this weekend. Are my plans sunk? Do I need to return the 123 for a faster drying option?

hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

if its dry to the touch then start painting..............you think i wait 7 days for primer to dry?? lol ................put a fan on it to help dry

dry time and cure times are 2 different things ...............paint takes weeks to fully cure, long after the painters are gone trust me

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 518

Ok great! Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about if the 7 days was more of a 'window' time to get the whole thing done or a wait time to start painting. I did run into a problem with Gripper before, where I painted the next day and though it was dry to the touch, the paint roller pulled the primer right off the wall. I didn't want to go through that again here (which is why I bough Zinsser).

One other question: the new room will be painted, obviously. I did hang drywall on the backside of this room, in what is still an unfinished area. That area likely won't be done until next year. I want to prime it to seal the drywall. Will the primer be alright without paint over it (won't know what color until I finish the rest of the area). Should I throw up some cheapo white paint over those walls?
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Super Master Painter

those numbers on the can are there to protect the company so when you call them and say ''it wont dry'' they say ''did you read the can??''

there are a lot of variables in ''dry time'' .......... latex dries quick under NORMAL conditions, takes forever over cold plaster...........oil finish usually dries by the next day

the worst is oil primer on cold plaster when its raining and cold outside lol............long day
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Will the primer be alright without paint over it (won't know what color until I finish the rest of the area). Should I throw up some cheapo white paint over those walls?

ive had 1 coat of 123 one my front door (exterior) for the past 2 years and its holding up great thats why i havent put a finish on it yet lol.......dont say anything though ............the door is junk so i dont care how it looks , eventually ill replace it

Last edited by Ole34; 02-08-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

To answer you're question. Certainly prime it now and when you get ready to paint( if it is more than a month or so) put another coat of primer on.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Certainly prime it now and when you get ready to paint( if it is more than a month or so) put another coat of primer on.

another coat of primer after a month ?? lol will the first coat wear off??? ..............does it turn to dust and blow away???? you book taught painters have to go.