DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Zinnser Prime Coat 2 vs Zinnser 123

22K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jburchill 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm about ready to prime my bathroom, new drywall. I bought a can of Prime Coat 2 for the bathroom and have a can of Zinnser 123 from other projects.

I've been debating on what primer to use. I've read a lot of good reviews of Zin 123, but on the can I didn't see it was a sealer. Being new drywall I thought it would good to have a sealer in the primer. That's why I got the primecoat2. That said it was a sealer and good for new drywall.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Anyone have any experience with the two on fresh drywall?

#2 ·
#3 ·
thanks for the reply and the link, either I didn't see it on the can or its not on the can about being a sealer. I've used the zin 123 on other projects and no issues.

Its new drywall and not covering anything up, so I'll stick with the zin 123 and take back the Primecoat2 and save some money.

#4 ·
either would do a fine job- Use the open one.
I usually put just a small amount of water into them ( about half cup/gall) to loosen it up just a bit and also get better penetration into the new rock.
Make sure you dust off rock also- sanding dust can cause adhesion problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.