Your Thoughts On My Staining Dilemma? (Another Sucker That Fell For Behr) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Your thoughts on my staining dilemma? (Another sucker that fell for Behr)

Hi everyone,

I have a staining dilemma and was hoping someone could toss out some ideas/options. I am redoing my house with white cedar shingles. So far I have only done one wall, the front of the garage. Unfortunately, before I knew any better, I stained it with Behr "Premium" Semi-Transparent. It is the natural color, but I was upset to see it turned out like tan paint.

I will be doing a wall adjacent to this garage wall soon with the shingles, but I don't want to keep using Behr stain after the horror stories I have read here. Also, I would prefer to use a stain with a truly natural appearance so that the shingles still look like white cedar or only slightly darker when I am done.

Thus my dilemma...Should I just leave the Behr stain on for now and have the garage be a different color than the rest of the house? Should I attempt to remove the stain that I just put up? I would love to strip and/or sand it off but I'm worried that it won't come completely off and a light stain will never look right on this wall.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by mklang; 08-03-2010 at 09:29 AM.
mklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

It should strip fairly easily with Sherwin Williams Stain remover - it is marketed for removing semi-transparent stain from decks. I just used it to strip my mahogany front porch with no problems (i had 3 coats of Semi-trans on it). Make sure you neutralize after stripping.

If you like the look of the shingles without stain on them then just use Sherwin Williams clear stain. But make sure it is UV resistant or your shingles will gray within a year.

Good luck

Advertisement

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

According to the MSDS that product still has Silicone in it. That's made it a real pain to get rid of in the past. It doesn't like to strip well.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

alright, well thanks guys. i'm just going to leave it for now and worry about it when it fails.
mklang is offline   Reply With Quote