Yikes!! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Yikes!!

Happy to have found this site today....bummed because(after reading reviews) I'm sitting on 15 gallons of Behr paint and ready to go..My house is over 150 years old and I am putting in about a million hours of prep work on the front porch alone ( tons of windows, reglazing, etc.).
My question is....Am I better off eating the $300 dollars that I have spent on the primer & paint and going and finding another product that is better in quality, or should I just go with what I have? We are concentrating only on the front porch this year, because of the time & work involved, but will be doing the rest of the house next spring and will have to buy more paint anyway. One more question, if I do go with the Behr, how long should I expect the finish to last (with proper preperation...pressure washing, scraping, sanding& priming)? Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

tymelye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yikes!!

I'd try and get HD to take it back
It really shouldn't be that much of a hassle
Even if it is, it'd be worth it

Honestly, I've not seen it last more than a year outside, it looks bad during that time, starts looking worse really quickly, and it messes up your prep for next time

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #3

Unhappy

Yikes!!

Slick, I have already had one horrible experience with HD ( The only thing crappier than my paint is the customer service at HD!!) in the last week regarding this paint, needless to say, I wont be going back, and I am CERTAIN that they wont take it back ( Since the stuff that THEY screwed up they wouldnt take back). The one thing I have going for me is that it has a lifetime guarantee, and as I am going to bare wood & taking photographs along the way, I have a lifetime supply of crappy paint, i guess. Ive already lost 6 pounds scraping and sanding, so, maybe I should look at this like my spring spa break. HAR HAR! Bummer.. wished I would have found you all sooner!
tymelye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yikes!!

Well, with so much on hand...I guess I'd consider using it...
But I gotta tell ya, if it were me...my house...and it was free....
Wow, I think I'd let it go until I could buy some other paint....wow...
I'm really trying to be honest here

Would you consider donating it to a Habitat for Humanity type deal or something?....maybe a local rec center?
Would that be a possibility?
At least you could get a tax break for the donation
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Property Manager

Rewards Points: 25

Yikes!!

The bad experience that I have had involved applying Behr paint (interior) on top of CIL brand. I’m thinking there was an incompatibility there and maybe Behr paint is just picky about what it goes on top of --- never had this happen with other brands. After spending that kind of money I would probably go with it. You might be better off then others if the primer and top coat are both Behr. Try it on a smaller area first and let it sit for a month or two first before doing the rest, would be another thought. I’ve also heard of other people thinning Behr paint slightly to get better results.
MrNoMaintenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #6

Yikes!!

I need some advice on how to get paint off of cement...I was painting my porch railing w/ white paint and now there is paint on it....it's all smudged now from trying to remove it w/ paint thinner and wire brush! Is there anything I can use to take it off? White Rustolium pain

please email me w/ any advice at rez_l@yahoo.com
rez_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
The Flying Toolbox

Rewards Points: 25

Yikes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez_l
I need some advice on how to get paint off of cement...I was painting my porch railing w/ white paint and now there is paint on it....it's all smudged now from trying to remove it w/ paint thinner and wire brush! Is there anything I can use to take it off? White Rustolium pain

please email me w/ any advice at rez_l@yahoo.com
You should have probably started a new thread with this to get a better response.
Anyway, back to your question...It's pretty hard getting paint totally off concrete, because unless it's sealed concrete, pigment from the paint is absorbed by the concrete almost immediately. The only thing I could think of that might get the paint out is Kleen's Brush and Roller Cleaner. This stuff will take a rock hard paint brush, full of dry oil-based paint, and make it new again.

Advertisement

handypilot is offline   Reply With Quote