Yet Another Painting Concrete Floor Thread.. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

yet another painting concrete floor thread..

I appreciate all the help in my past threads on doing my concrete garage floor, but I've changed my mind on how I want to approach it.

Originally I was contemplating either an epoxy / flake system, sandblasting it and then acid staining the concrete, or doing a concrete overlay (and doing an acid stain, stamping, or something cool and decorative).

I've since decided that all 3 of those are waaaaaay bigger projects than I really want to tackle for my garage floor. But at the same time, I don't want to keep the ridiculously crappy flooring the way it is (concrete slab painted green, with tons of colors all over the place from various paints/primers I've used on other projects hitting the floor lol).

What's the deal with concrete floor paints? Will these be crap? < I should note that no cars go in the garage, so hot tire pickup isn't an issue > Is there any possible way to get a concrete paint that maybe has little 'particles' in it, not really big flakes like the epoxy, but maybe a tannish paint with little black dots in it or something to make it less uniform / more textured? I'd love if a paint for that floor was able to provide both a kind of bumpy texture and have particles in it so it doesn't look like 1 solid color, but either of those attributes would be cool enough!

Any suggestions are welcome. I need to do something about that floor, and tackling a concrete overlay or epoxy job are the last things I'd want to do for the job.

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #2

Would prep work be less for a repaint? If, instead of epoxy, or concrete staining/overlays, I just wanted to change the color from green to something else, is there a significant reduction in prep work? I'd imagine so but really want some opinions from here instead of from home depot

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Nobody? I've been searching concrete network, searching through this site, and haven't found anything in depth on how to paint concrete slabs yet! I'm kinda surprised in all honesty, as there's so much on staining, epoxy systems, etc. Thinking I'm just gonna need to buy floor paint and follow the instructions...