Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Yellow walls

Hi all, I'm new here

We just had the walls of a new house spray-painted white, apparently the walls are made of cast containing also recycled paper and the spray-paint turned yellow-ish.

I heard there was a (chlorine based liquid ?) product that can bleach this yellowish effect out without having to repeat the entire spray-paint job. Is anyone here familiar with it or has ever had this problem ?

I would be grateful for any information you can offer

337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #2

Yellow walls

EU and US products can be as different as night and day. Personally if your home is new, I would be talking to my contractor.

By the way nice Avatar.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Lightbulb

Yellow walls

Thanks Mark942

This is a new house and the contractor acknowledged the problem - the story is like this : The contractor hired a one-man company for the spray-painting, this was a young guy who came in, made a lot of unrelated mistakes and left the walls with large yellow patches on them, he then ran the floor-heating full power for 2 weeks insisting the spray-paint would dry out (on a light cast-wall of a 2 year old construction.... it was as dry as the dessert....).

I told him to return and sort things out, the then used some type of bleach rather than repainting but again - did a poor job and I had no idea what chemical he used.... but now I received a bottle from the contractor - who apologized since.

I'll post a picture in a couple of weeks - we are now in the middle of the move - so things are a bit messy and I may be offline for a few days...

Later
Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #4

Yellow walls

Finally the new house is starting to take on shape, although we are minimalists, we still had quite a bit of chaos....

The mystery liquid used to bleach the yellow patches left on our walls after a careless worker neglected to prime recycled cast, is a "Wall plaster cleaner". To all of you who may experience this in the future, here is a pic of the bottle below - sorry for the Dutch label....

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
handpaintedbysteve.com

Yellow walls

Go to this page and look at these pictures. Did your walls look like these pictures? How to separate colors on a wall

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
DIY'er

Yellow walls

It sounds like bleed through. I highly doubt anything short of priming and re-painting is going to solve the problem.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #7

Yellow walls

My walls did not look like the pics, in that other thread the walls were actually painted in a different color, this was not the case with us - we had unpainted walls of recycled cast - and while normal white paint did not cause the same problem, spray-paint (structured) without priming turned yellowing. The cleaning fluid in the pic I posted solved the problem. I can no longer find pics of the walls - I formatted my private PC since....
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #8

Yellow walls

You need to prime to seal in the bleedthrough and then repaint. Schellac (BIN) would be your best bet. An Oil base primer would hold it at bay for a while but you really need Schellac. Bleach may turn the surface white but it will just bleed back through.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote