DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Years of mishaps

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ratherbefishin' 
#1 ·
So my bathroom has been painted at least 6 different colors before I bought the house. There are a lot of scratches in the wall and dings, also there are a ton of drip marks from the not so caring previous painters. I'm noticing that the paint is scratching off way to easy, like around the shower curtain rod. I'm wanting to texture the walls to help cover up all the years of mishaps, then paint. What should my first step be to start this project? Please help

#3 ·
Sounds likely previous paint was not a bathroom rated paint ie. To withstand moisture and steam. That would explain the peeling or could be they used a latex paint over oil without priming. Sound like they didn't take care so chance they also used wrong product.

Sand any areas where the paint is flakey and use a really good quality primer before painting with a bathroom rated paint. You can also use a putty knife to scrape the drips and then fill any small gouges with spackle, sand, prime and paint.

A quality paint job is as much about correct prep as anything.

#4 ·
You can't just "texture to help cover up".:no: You'll only compound the problems. You have to scrape and sand all loose, poorly bonded material off to provide a solid surface, then apply a good bonding primer. IMO, at that point it's better to skimcoat and sand it smooth than spray a texture. Whichever way you choose, you'll need to prime again and apply two coats of a good bath paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.