Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wrought Iron Railing Disaster

Hi, I painted over my indoor railing without priming it first. After it dried it remained sticky- Paint store employee told me to strip it- As I began scraping I noticed there were about 4 layers of paint on it. I used citristrip to remove the layers. Heres the problem- I was able to scrape about 60% of the railing clean but there are a bunch of spots that are still wet and rubbery. I've been at it for about 5 hours total in two days trying to remove it all- I've tried everything from heat to steam- it looks like a disaster- any suggestions or is it time to call in a professional?

unabletoDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

The pro idea isn't a bad one..
but
what paint did you use to begin with? No reason for it to not dry .
Stripping effectively is hard- it's why I avoid it whenever possible.
There may have been other solutions, but maybe you got advice from someone at a box store??

Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #3

I explained to guy in home depot and he gave me Glidden Satin Base #3, after I painted it remained sticky and scratched extremely easy. I should have stripped as much as possible and primed it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

..and maybe used better paint to begin with..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

What do you recommend? Also I plan on using an oil based primer- do I still need to use an oil based paint? Or can I pick out any color?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

If you cannot get a pro at this point, you will have to continue. The only ways to remove paint is eitther chemically or mechanically.

If you choose mechanical, a paint removal disc made by 3M that mounts on a drill does a good job. However, they wear out quickly and can be quite messy indoors.

Citrus-based strippers are more pleasant to work with, but you may have to get tough and use a stronger stripper. (Requires solvent gloves, eye protection and protective clothing, used in well-ventilated area.) You don't indicate where you are located, but I'm sure you can find something. These will rapidly soften the material so that you can remove all tho old paint with scraping. Follow package directions and neutralize the surface as directed.

There are few waterborne coatings that will withstand handwear. Most are affected by the olils, lanolin, etc. from hands and will soften. Go to a store that can best direct you on this matter or maybe someone here will have some good suggestions...

BTW: Rust-Oleum offers a great line of primers and finishes you may want to look at.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

There are many good choices- but first you need to get a stable base to put it on.
I am trying to understand why the first paint was sticky. I get that it didn't get good adhesion because you didn't prep it. But it should have still dried.

What can you do with a scraper and sandpaper , rather than stripper?
Have you put stripper on all of it yet?

BTW- 5 hours to strip a railing is not even close to surprising- you have a few more to go I am sure..

And when it comes time to paint- color is not an issue- proper prep and paint is.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

I appreciate your info- thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #9

I believe it was more because I painted 2 costs in the spam of 4 hours- not the best idea- tried the 3m brush, sandpaper,scraper- I found a sheet rock cutter works the best- ill try putting a better chemical on it - rather not call someone
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
bbo

i'd be tempted to sandblast it.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Yeah take it out and dip it, or sand blast it. Then have an autobody place spray it for you.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

It was installed through stair case - that was an idea - would have been better to ask questions before I did anything lol-atleast now I know there is a place to find out all the answers I need- thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #13

I had an old porch railing at my first house that was in desperate need of stripping (paint peeling, some light surface rust, etc). , I attacked it with a wire cup brush/disc on an angle grinder....took forever, but then again your paint job will only be as good as your prep
mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #14

Use the best paint. Or move to oil. That means no more Glidden, Behr, or any 2 in 1 paint. We only use PPG Porter

Mechanical removal will be difficult at best after the coatings are softened up.
Go with a stronger stripper. The strongest one you can find. Wear protective gear and get er done.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-09-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: removed link per forum rules.
Grants Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, paint stripper, wrought iron