Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

Wrought Iron Fence

I got a couple hundred feet of iron fence to restore. It’s currently is and will remain black, there’s a very light coat of surface rust (no flaking) that you can only see when your right up on it.

What’s the best method/products for prepping the surface and what would be the best finish for this.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Wrought Iron Fence

I've had good luck wire brushing off any loose stuff, using a rust converter, then rusty metal primer then the finish coat of Rustolium Hard Hat paint.

I've done iron railing, a giant boat anchor, ladder racks made of angle iron, boat trailers used in salt water.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wrought Iron Fence

What Joe said (!! lol- inside joke..). I just used Rustolium's rust converter- works great. Just follow directions.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Mod

Wrought Iron Fence

What about a top coat...or is that it?

Was really wanting to stay away from rattle cans.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Wrought Iron Fence

The converter does just that- converts the rust into a paintable surface. says to oil prime after, finish with whatever ext. paint you want- apply how you want.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

Wrought Iron Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
What about a top coat...or is that it?

Was really wanting to stay away from rattle cans.

Rustolium makes that and one you can paint over light rust, I believe
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Mod

Wrought Iron Fence

Well thanks for the help guys but it looks like Rustolium is out. I’m in the middle of nowhere and have limited choices and they are.

At 25 mi. one way where I just came from is a Do it Best Hardware, they have 3-4 Rustolium products, none of which you mentioned above. They have all kinds of house brand paint many that say rust protection but none that say converter. This store is also a Valspar dealer.

35 mi. in the other direction is a Ben Moore dealer. 45 mi. in yet another direction there’s an SW. I’m 90 mi. from the closest box store.

I want to give this 130 year old fence the best I can. If Rustolium is it then I guess it’s off the box store. I just can’t imagine that BM or SW can’t hook me up.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wrought Iron Fence

My Ben Moore dealer ordered me a rust converter from their specialty coatings division. Website sounds right: Benjamin Moore® Super Spec HP® Rust Converter Coating P82

I don't honestly remember. Comes in gallons and 5ers. See if the Ben Moore store will ship it directly to you since it is special order.

You wouldn't happen to be near a marina or boatyard? I have also used Eastwood products in the past. Stuff is not cheap though.

Those old fences can really suck paint in like stain so the converter product is the way to go. Rattle cans would not even make a dent.

Last edited by user1007; 08-16-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Mod

Wrought Iron Fence

OK thanks, I got you on the P82 converter. So how about a top coat...oil, latex? Temps from 110 down to 0 around around here.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wrought Iron Fence

I honestly forget what I was told to use over it so you might call Ben Moore support. The product dries white and I do remember my client wanted something other than black for the finish. Not trying to force you to Ben Moore by the way although I did well by most of their products through the years. Others may know of better products for such fences.

I seem to remember the Eastwood product leaving a pleasant matte black and requiring no top coat but I fly from memory not to be trusted. Best to ask.

Found this stuff just now online but $15/gallon seems to good to be true.

http://www.mrochem.com/BlackStar-Rus...FeZDMgodW2gA-g

Last edited by user1007; 08-16-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wrought Iron Fence

Make sure to make any repairs and spot weld any failing joints, hinges, latches and so forth before you start by the way! You should still do some wirebrush or other prep if there is cruddy rust buildup. It will just look like painted cruddy rust buildup otherwise.

I don't remember painting wrought iron or other such fences as being my fave projects of all time. Seems like it took hours to get a few feet done.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Mod

Wrought Iron Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I don't remember painting wrought iron or other such fences as being my fave projects of all time. Seems like it took hours to get a few feet done.
I’ve spent quite some time restoring the exterior of this “Painted Lady” now all that’s left is the fence.

So I’ve been schooled on the converter, thanks. Since my closest option is a Valspar dealer I Googled “Valspar rust converter” and found THIS. The first two items on the “metal protection” list are stocked at my local store. Is this a different animal than the P82? I don’t see anything that says the Valspar converts anything. Just trying to understand what’s what.

EDIT: Changed the link.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-16-2012 at 06:09 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wrought Iron Fence

Looks the Valspar product you linked is supposed to inhibit new rust. A rust converter actually arrests and changes the existing oxidation and rust to a solid material. Rust converters were probably developed in earnest for naval vessels.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Wrought Iron Fence

Wire brush, scrape loose rust, loose flaking paint, clean and then apply sherwin williams kem bond high solids oil primer to rusted areas. Apply sherwin williams DTM semi-gloss as a top coat. We paint a lot of different exterior metal surfaces, fences, railings, metal curbs at banks and other business, fire escapes, roofs, etc and usually always use Kem Bond as a primer and DTM from Sherwin Williams and have had no problems with this system. If you have an airless sprayer you can spray these products and make pretty fast work of that fence.

Last edited by housepaintingny; 08-16-2012 at 07:57 PM.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Expert Paint (08-16-2012), kwikfishron (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Wrought Iron Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I’ve spent quite some time restoring the exterior of this “Painted Lady” now all that’s left is the fence.

So I’ve been schooled on the converter, thanks. Since my closest option is a Valspar dealer I Googled “Valspar rust converter” and found THIS. The first two items on the “metal protection” list are stocked at my local store. Is this a different animal than the P82? I don’t see anything that says the Valspar converts anything. Just trying to understand what’s what.

EDIT: Changed the link.
Ron - check some auto parts houses. I believe it is permatex that makes a product called Extend which is also a rust converter, popular with the hot rod crowd and farmers for implements. Auto parts places and implement dealers should be able to hook you up.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (08-17-2012)