Wrong Paint Sheen, Help! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wrong paint sheen, help!

Hi All,

I come to you in desperation, I need a paint wizard! I had my husband pick up 10 gallons of Sherwin Williams satin paint for the walls of our new home... yup 10 gallons! Have I really screwed up? I realized after the fact that I told him the wrong sheen, should have asked for eggshell I think. I read that satin is NOT a good sheen for walls, is that right, is there anything I can do to remedy this? I can't keep buying new paint (I have already made a couple of bad choices that cost us money). Can I add something to the paint (uneducated guess #1), or maybe roll on a matte finish glaze over the 2nd coat (uneducated guess #2)? Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks so much.

Advertisement

Last edited by pmarie; 01-14-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo
pmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

wrong paint sheen, help!

Satin is good for walls...its very cleanable. Many of Sherwin Williams paints do not come in eggshell in fact...only satin. So there may not have been a choice in the first place.

Advertisement

Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

wrong paint sheen, help!

Do a little on a small test area and see what you think.

I am basically a Benj Moore guy- but I think SW's satin is under an eggshell in sheen in their line, it is quite a bit over in the BM line. Same word- means different things.

You might be fine.. Let us know what you think.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,684

wrong paint sheen, help!

Different companies and what is eggshell in one is satin to another.A lot of people use satin on the wall. You already bought it try a little and you may be surprised. I really don't think you want to try to alter the sheen as you could end up with something worse than you think you have now.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

wrong paint sheen, help!

Thanks to you all for your encouragement. I feel better already. I will let you know how it goes.
pmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

wrong paint sheen, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarie View Post
Hi All,

I come to you in desperation, I need a paint wizard! I had my husband pick up 10 gallons of Sherwin Williams satin paint for the walls of our new home... yup 10 gallons! Have I really screwed up? I realized after the fact that I told him the wrong sheen, should have asked for eggshell I think. I read that satin is NOT a good sheen for walls, is that right, is there anything I can do to remedy this? I can't keep buying new paint (I have already made a couple of bad choices that cost us money). Can I add something to the paint (uneducated guess #1), or maybe roll on a matte finish glaze over the 2nd coat (uneducated guess #2)? Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks so much.
Where did you read that?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,294

wrong paint sheen, help!

Agree with everyone so far. Satin and Eggshell are ALMOST interchangeable. With SW Satin has a more pronounced sheen.......it's not real shiny but shiny enough for wipe downs, etc. Their eggshell is very much like a real eggshell, just a subtle sheen to it. I use either/or quite regularly with no complaints or problems from customers who rarely can tell the difference between the two sheens. You are good to go!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,528

wrong paint sheen, help!

Satin tends to be more shiny than eggshell, but this changes from brand to brand, and even within brand. If satin is offered instead of eggshell in that line, then it's the sheen that's probably to be used for anyone who doesn't want flat walls.

Maybe what you heard is that going shinier than eggshell isn't recommended, but usually that means semi-gloss, which I agree would be too shiny. Satin should be fine assuming you don't want flat.

I very much doubt adding any "glaze" over the paint would be a good idea. Mixing flat paint with it might work, but then you've got the added expense of more paint anyway.

Try it and see on one wall. If you hate it, donate the paint to Habitat for Humanity and buy different.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

wrong paint sheen, help!

Dont try to change the sheen. It is what it is. You may want to second coat with the lower sheen on darker colors but Satin isn't so bad for walls. Some paint manufactures will take paint back if you want.

Advertisement

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-09-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: removed link per forum rules.
Grants Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheen