Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Would to see these failure stats on Kilz Primers and Behr

Please post this 25% failure rate so we can all take a look at this.....and if possible please include why the product failed b/c I just dont buy the fact primer falls off the walls in this 25% clip posted on this board. And who did these stats the pro that uses only 123 product, b/c I assure you I can find just as many failure rates as kilz. People fail with painting projects all of the time and a LOT of the time it is user error. So lets have this discussion b/c it looks like I am in the minority here about kilz primers and in my use it has NEVER failed or that matter fall of the wall.....that is tooo funnny.

Thanks,
David

dcheek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

David, thats funny that this topic is coming up. I was getting ready to prime my bathroom because of a drastic color change and decided to use Kilz Prem. because a friend of mine had suggested it. He is actually a rep for them. After going about a half wall of cutting it in I decided to quit. It was coming right back off with my stroke back. I had mixed it up well so I decided to go to Sherman Williams and get there blend. With out a doubt it was hands down three times easier to work and I didn't have the primer coming back up with the brush stroke. It was the same brush, same wall, within a hour of each other. I don't paint alot so maybe it was me but the only thing that changed was the brand. Personally I would never use it again. Thats just my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Mack V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #3

Mack,

That is ok....you are only sharing what you experienced with this and that is what this post is about.....I have been painting for 12 years and have excsclusively used Kilz products and I am by no means saying this product does not fail....But I have used the premium, general purpose interior and exterior, kilz2 and the original and never had a problem....so I want to hear what is going on with you guys out there using this product. Mack when you say the product was coming off you are you saying it was too thin....or streaking?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheek20 View Post
Mack,

That is ok....you are only sharing what you experienced with this and that is what this post is about.....I have been painting for 12 years and have excsclusively used Kilz products and I am by no means saying this product does not fail....But I have used the premium, general purpose interior and exterior, kilz2 and the original and never had a problem....so I want to hear what is going on with you guys out there using this product. Mack when you say the product was coming off you are you saying it was too thin....or streaking?
It was very thick but when I went the opposite direction (1 st time in that direction) to get it covered it pulled the primer back off the wall in small clumps. I mixed it for several minutes w/ a cordless drill so I don't think that is the problem. After is dried in that one spot it was so bad I had to sand it before I applied the Sherman Williams. S.H. is expensive but if you have to do it again it is well worth it. You have a ton more experience than me but I feel I won't use it again just for that one bad experience.
Mack V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

DCHEEK20,

Please have this discussion on our pro board at Painttalk.com.

Since you're a painter, we welcome you there.

Last edited by joewho; 01-25-2008 at 03:56 PM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Myself the only kilz i will use is original oil kilz. I have tried the waterbourne and it is not nearly as good of a product.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #7

Mack,

I am glad you got your project finished regardless, it is hard to say why the kilz premium failed for you.....it is by no means a perfect product, just has been good to me over the years. That being said it seems you have solved your problem and finished the project which is the objective anyway.....PS I hope you called your buddy who is a rep. with kilz and gave him an earful.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Definitely sounds like a bad can of paint. Did it freeze before your got it?

I use Zinser 123 the most, but Kiltz regular and some of the water based. I like the 123 when I am using water based, but Kiltz regular if I really have a tough stain.

I have never experienced the problem you describe, so it must be a bad can of paint. Send it to Kiltz and I am sure they will give you another one and tell you what is wrong with that can.

kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote