DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Worth removing the cabinets before painting my kitchen? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/worth-removing-cabinets-before-painting-my-kitchen-4199/)

J187 10-04-2006 08:29 AM

Worth removing the cabinets before painting my kitchen?
 
I'm just painting the walls and don't need to do anything directly to the cabinets. I'm thinking about changing the cabinets in say, the next three years. SHould I take them down before painting the walls?

harleysilo 10-04-2006 10:11 AM

There is no way in hell I would remove cabinets to paint the walls.

However, I do admit you could do a perfect paint job with them removed, but only you would ever notice.

Hammatime 10-04-2006 10:14 AM

I would not remove the cabinets to paint the walls. It is just to much work. If you are thinking about changing the cabinets later, you will probably repaint the walls anyway.

J187 10-04-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleysilo (Post 19955)
There is no way in hell I would remove cabinets to paint the walls.

However, I do admit you could do a perfect paint job with them removed, but only you would ever notice.

Thanks, yeah I would never consider doing it if it were only me who would notice, but I am just thinking that when I change the cabinets there is likely to be a differnece in the way the new ones fit which would reveal any missed spots. BUT, now that I think of it, even if I painted behind the cabinets, it would probably fade anyway. I'll do as hammer suggested and repaint. Thanks.

Paintguy26 10-04-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J187 (Post 19966)
Thanks, yeah I would never consider doing it if it were only me who would notice, but I am just thinking that when I change the cabinets there is likely to be a differnece in the way the new ones fit which would reveal any missed spots. BUT, now that I think of it, even if I painted behind the cabinets, it would probably fade anyway. I'll do as hammer suggested and repaint. Thanks.


I would just like to add...when and if you replace the cabinets later on, and they fit differently, it's no biggie! You simply paint the spots that are bare and the rest and move on....:wink:

Ps-if you're worried about getting paint on the cabinets, make sure you head to SW and grab some "low tack" blue tape, and just tape them off. And slop away...

slickshift 10-04-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J187 (Post 19946)
I'm just painting the walls and don't need to do anything directly to the cabinets. I'm thinking about changing the cabinets in say, the next three years. SHould I take them down before painting the walls?

Nope.

troubleseeker 10-08-2006 07:28 PM

Don't mean to insult you, but you must have to much time on your hands. Never heard of anyone thinking of removing cabinets to paint.

slickshift 10-08-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troubleseeker (Post 20316)
Never heard of anyone thinking of removing cabinets to paint.

:laughing:
I do get asked/requests about/for that occasionally
Fortunately, very few insist

Depending on how they are attached, it's sometimes not that big a deal
But of course it's not included in a normal bid,
I guess it often doesn't seem quite so important when they see the cost to add it

Besides, it's better to ask and find out, rather than hear (three years from now) "Your doing what? You should have taken those down and painted back there!"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.