Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wood trim on concrete slab.....

Hello,

I have poplar baseboard trim that will be primed and painted and will be in contact with a concrete slab. While my walkout basement does not have a water problem, there is inherently moisture in the slab which is in contact with the ground. I'm concerned that the wood trim will absorb moisture from the slab and possibly rot. Is this a valid concern and what measures might I take with respect to my coatings for primer and finish coat?

Thank you,
Steve

wolftrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

Concrete and Wood do not mix, with exception of pressure treated lumber. Keep your trim up from the concrete 1/8 or 1/4 inch.............

Prime and paint to be used should be from a Paint Company/Store as apposed to the big boxed stores......IMO mind you!

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Concrete and Wood do not mix, with exception of pressure treated lumber. Keep your trim up from the concrete 1/8 or 1/4 inch.............

Prime and paint to be used should be from a Paint Company/Store as apposed to the big boxed stores......IMO mind you!

Ok, I'll raise it, good suggestion, how about my primer, is latex ok or should I go to oil?

The concrete floor is acid etched which is why the trim won't be on wood or carpet.
wolftrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrader View Post
Ok, I'll raise it, good suggestion, how about my primer, is latex ok or should I go to oil?
KM has great oil and they also have some great latex as well. Oil is IMO is the best way to go Primer/Paint, Enamel. But I tend to be old school. If you have the time,ventilation and the ability with oil, I would go Oil. If your looking to get your trim done in a faster pace then I would go latex. Oil Primer and latex top coat might be the ticket as well. Like I said KM has some great product lines. You just have to choose is all......................

Good Luck....................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote