Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

Wood trim

Design question would love to paint out my oak trim to give a more up dated modern look house was built in 1922 also oak flooring throughout but the house feels tired and heavy however afraid to make the commitment to paint the wood

Eric13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #2

Wood trim

Painting oak is never a good idea unless perhaps the clear coat has lost its' luster..........painted oak always looks like.....well, painted oak.....I mean you see the grain flash through the paint and it just isn't a smooth, sharp look. Don't get me wrong, it CAN be painted, but it just never looks quite right to me. Any chance you could rip out the oak and sell it? Then replace it with a more paintable wood such as poplar?

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Wood trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Painting oak is never a good idea unless perhaps the clear coat has lost its' luster..........painted oak always looks like.....well, painted oak.....I mean you see the grain flash through the paint and it just isn't a smooth, sharp look. Don't get me wrong, it CAN be painted, but it just never looks quite right to me. Any chance you could rip out the oak and sell it? Then replace it with a more paintable wood such as poplar?

how about, gently, carefully, tenderly, lovingly, removing the oak?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Wood trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric13 View Post
Design question would love to paint out my oak trim to give a more up dated modern look house was built in 1922 also oak flooring throughout but the house feels tired and heavy however afraid to make the commitment to paint the wood
We've spent the last 5 years stripping ugly paint off the oak woodwork, and refinishing the oak floors, in our house that was built in 1928. I cannot imagine why somebody thought that white carpet & white paint looked good in a big old brick house, but we're certainly fixing that mistake.

It's your house, and you're certainly free to do whatever you wish. But I'd never paint oak woodwork.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

Wood trim

Agreed. We bought our house in part because of the beautiful, unpainted, original oak woodwork.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #6

Wood trim

My wife and I bought our house (1914) because we loved the original, unpainted woodwork. I grew up watching my mom spend her free time (which wasn't much) on her hands and knees with scrapers and heat guns removing paint from all the woodwork in their house (1886). That alone is enough that I could never paint any of it in my house.

There must be other ways of modernizing, cleaning up the look, etc, but if you must have painted trimwork, do as suggested. Carefully remove the oak, sell it, donate it, whatever, and replace it with some other wood. Just can't replicate the old stuff anymore...at least not on my budget.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Wood trim

Whoa - beautiful house, Marqed97!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Wood trim

Haha! I've got a client with those exact stairs!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Wood trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Haha! I've got a client with those exact stairs!
Well ya danged well better not be painting them!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Wood trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
My wife and I bought our house (1914) because we loved the original, unpainted woodwork. I grew up watching my mom spend her free time (which wasn't much) on her hands and knees with scrapers and heat guns removing paint from all the woodwork in their house (1886). That alone is enough that I could never paint any of it in my house.

There must be other ways of modernizing, cleaning up the look, etc, but if you must have painted trimwork, do as suggested. Carefully remove the oak, sell it, donate it, whatever, and replace it with some other wood. Just can't replicate the old stuff anymore...at least not on my budget.

Need to have an oak radiator cover built
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

Wood trim

Thank you, all... The house is in desperate need of work in other areas but the wood work is beautiful. Still has all the original doors, frames, etc. Keep the oldies if at all possible! There are radiator covers in other rooms, some match, some thrown together by a previous owner.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #12

Wood trim

Please do not paint your oak trim. Stained trim is timeless. If anything just paint the walls.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Wood trim

This is as close to the stairs as i have- I did a rag finish on the walls- lots of arty stuff in this old house- circa 1900.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #14

Wood trim

Very nice. The walls were sponge painted flesh pink and dark red when we bought it. Just went with white for now... Better plans for the future. As we all said, OP, don't paint the woodwork!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Wood trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
This is as close to the stairs as i have- I did a rag finish on the walls- lots of arty stuff in this old house- circa 1900.
Very nice. Very, very nice!