Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Stains on PT and Cedar

I'm in the process of redoing my central Florida backyard and I've got there separate wood structures that need staining/sealing.

First, is a basic PT fence. It is about 3 years old. I spent the weekend cleaning the fence with a combination of bleach, TSP and water and will hopefully be ready to stain as soon as it dries completely.

Second, I just finished building a deck out of PT as well. It is only a week or so old.

Lastly, I'm building a pergola out of western red cedar. I'd like to maintain the beauty of the wood and try to prevent it from turning gray.

I've been trying to decide which brand would be best for my situation. I was hoping to find a local store that carries at least one or two of them, but it seems like most companies are mail order only. So far, I'm looking at:

Armstrong Clark
Timber Oil
TWP
Defy
Ready Seal

I'd like all the surfaces to match. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Captainjz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Going to have to wait a while on the pressure treated. If you use on it before it's had time to dry out you'll seal in the moisture and have to deal with mold for the life of the deck.
Not sure why anyone would even think about ordering deck stain on line.
Olympic, Cabot's, Sherwin Williams deck Scapes are all locally available stains. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/families/deckscapes-deck-care-system/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=OPT%20PPC%20DIY&ppc=bing&kw=sh erwin+williams+deckscapes&mkwid=eB15rwAu1&pcrid=14 59482427&pkw=sherwin%20williams%20deckscapes&pmt={ MatchTyp

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sikkens stain is the best and will last the longest. I think the one is called sickens SRD or CRD.Go to local paint store and bring a piece of each material and have them put a sample of 4-5 different colors. They have the little sample cans they sell too.
shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote