Wood Shake Siding - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood shake siding

I have to repair my siding it seems like I have cedar shingles, house was built in 81, I have attached photos of it and I would like to know if I can just replace the missing singles and use a solid stain.
Also the fascia boards need repair should I just scrape and paint or replace with different material.

Thanks
I posted this also under building thread but perhaps it's more appropriate for here.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood shake siding-img_3084.jpg   Wood shake siding-img_3087.jpg  

Advertisement

Huls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wood shake siding

The facia you show looks dried out and warped so replace it.

The shakes look like they have never had anything applied to them. They look reasonably flat but dry as well. Only you can tell if the are about to fracture apart. If they are intact, you should be able to replace failed or missing ones. Then use a cleaner/conditioner product for cedar to prep all the siding. Neutralize it as instructed.

Follow with a couple coats (possibly more since they are so dark and depending on the color you shoose) of quality waterbased acrylic solid stain like Sherwin Williams Woodscapes or Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. You can get either mixed to any color. You can use the solid stain directly on the facia too.

I would wait to buy the stain, especially if you pick a custom color, until after you get the siding cleaned and neutralized. I know it looks really blackened/greyed now, but it should come out much lighter when you are done. Depending on how well the process works, you may find a semi-solid or even a semi-transparent stain may provide the look you are after if the siding bleaches out to a light grey or something. The solid stains mentioned are great but they will leave highly opaque color, almost like paint, on the surface. Less pigmented stains will let more grain and existing color show through.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-20-2013 at 09:45 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Wood shake siding

Thanks so much for your help , what type of cleaner/conditioner do you recommend, also how can I tell what type of cedar it is for replacement shakes, and does it make a difference for the prep/painting.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wood shake siding

I would check to see what cleaner/conditioner your local real building supply or paint store has available and recommends. Make sure you buy the matching neutralizer if you need one. A box store product is not in your best interest for this. You will just get "deer caught in headlights" looks asking any questions.

You could also search this site for recommendations. Look just for deck refinishing threads and you will get good advice for product choice and how best to use it. Search more broadly online for possible home cooked varieties that might work.

Just make sure you know what you need to apply to stop whatever chemical reaction you start. It may just require adequate water rinse or a neutralizer of some kind.

Whatever you use to clean and condition might cause skin or eye irritation so buy a couple tyvek suits or at least gloves and eye protection. No reason to end up with a cornea problem from this.

Shakes are sold in size, and grades---finished or unfinished. I would take one into your building supplier and have them order the best your budget will allow and that matches. They will have fastener recommendations too.

Last edited by user1007; 05-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

Wood shake siding

Thanks so much for your advice.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

Wood shake siding

We decided to go with a solid stain, do I have to make sure to clean the cedar well or can a powewash by itself suffice.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wood shake siding

Powerwashers are great tools but not the first I would pick to prep shakes. And yours still have all the nooks and crannies that comes with the territory. Too many places for water to seep underneath. If you use one, take care not to get water up under the shakes or force it between them. Start with the lowest pressure and broadest tip.

I think I would be more inclined, if you have the patience, to use a tank sprayer with whatever cleaner/conditioner/neutralizer combo you decided on and go after it with one of those low pressure car wash wand/sponge/brush things and a garden hose nozzle to rinse. I know they lack high tech glamour but I think you will find it works well for you.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Wood shake siding

Yea, like SD said, take it easy with the pressure washer. Cedar is very soft, and will fizz up easily. I would just spray a light bleach solution, and gently wash it off if your going solid. That will kill the mildew and brighten them a little.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-26-2013), user1007 (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wood shake siding

I often wonder what I could loose and still survive. I think if I lost my eyes I would be devastated. I was seeing eye dog for my Mom who lost most of her sight for no reason but juvenile diabetes and its attack on her retinas.

I have been diligent about wearing protective eyewear when working around caustic chemicals like you will be soon. And, never, ever atomize something like bleach through the syphon tube on a pressure washer unless you have cornea transplant donors lined up.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Wood shake siding

I have been going at it with a tank sprayer and following up with the pw and the 45 tip, but I have been finding it very tedious to say the least and since these pump sprayers are low pressure you have to get nice and close which makes it extremely difficult past a certain height, that's why I'm looking to see, since we are going with a solid, what I can get away with without compromising the finish.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wood shake siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huls View Post
what I can get away with without compromising the finish.
You know the answers you are going to get with suggesting you want to skip proper prep right?

You are going to have to figure out how you are going to get up there to apply the stain safely right? Why not consider prep your trial run at it all?

It is no fun. And if anyone suggests you will not be bent and twisted getting up there? They have never done it.

Last edited by user1007; 05-26-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Wood shake siding

Sounds like you need an adjustable tip for your pump sprayer. Some of them will shoot a stream quite a long way when adjusted all the way out. Solo brand sprayer parts are pretty interchangeable.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #13

Wood shake siding

Thanks for the advice, I guess the el-cheapo pump sprayers aren't going to cut it, I will get a better one and see how it goes.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wood shake siding

I guess I ask the question again. If you are worried about how to shoot cleaner at it? What in the world are you planning to use to get up there and stain it? And you know that facia has to be replaced?

You are trying to skimp and end run your prep and I promise it will not end well. Get up there! Cleat the roof, rent a hot air balloon and hang from it or a helicopter. Or figure out the scaffolding or ladders you need to rent or borrow to make this work---safely. If you cannot figure out how to get up there to prep? God help you trying to solid stain it with a magic wand.

Last edited by user1007; 05-26-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Wood shake siding

To do the job the proper way you need to use the right wood cleaners and straight bleach isn't the proper cleaner for wood. You also need to scrub every shake on that house to remove all contaminants and open wood pours. After cleaning properly you should ph balance the wood. With the proper cleaners and methods, using about 100 psi you could have those shakes looking like new again. It does not take high pressure nor is it recommended to clean. wood. Use a wood cleaner such as efc38.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote