Wood Paneling Makeover - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Paneling Makeover

A room in my house has this kind of cheap wood paneling:

It's been painted, and looks ok, but I would like to take it a step further. I would like to fill the "seams" in the paneling, sand it flat, prime, and paint.

I was thinking of using a light, light texture to help hide the old seams if necessary.

My question is, what should I use to kill the seams? I was thinking of using wood filler. Also, what would be a good texture to look into? I'd like to mimic lightly textured dry wall if possible. Every other wall in the home has dry wall walls, I don't know why they put paneling in this one room.

Advertisement

mnjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

Wood Paneling Makeover

Wow, I am with you on that one. I have only one room in my home with that stuff on the walls. I painted over it 10 years ago, but I just don't like paneling and never did (even when it was trendy, lol).

There is special wallpaper available to cover paneling or badly damaged walls. It is available in smooth finish or a variety of patterns. All is designed to be painted over (nice selection at Lowes).

This may be somewhat easier for you than the mud, etc. I just finished extensive wall repair in six rooms and that last one is the paneling. I am just going to remove crown, etc and paper it and then paint. I assume it will be a little easier than working with the mud and sanding. Even wearing a mask, my lungs have been affected by the ongoing sanding work past seven months.

Good luck. I'm curious which route you choose and the outcome. Please write back and let us know.

Advertisement

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Wood Paneling Makeover

If you do decide to paint the panelling and want to add texture, use compound on your seams, sand, prime, and you can then use Sherwin Williams Sand Scapes. Its a light granulated texture that you apply with a roller and brush.
http://www.kelloggspainting.com/Anti...edTexture.html
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wood Paneling Makeover

That is going to be a fair amount of work to fill in all the seams with compound, sand and prime it. Doable but you might not like the end result. Are you sure you don't want to just demo the paneling and hang new drywall or something? It is still going to be crappy paneling when you are done and it looks like is delaminating or something in places already?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Wood Paneling Makeover

It won't take long to fill the seams in, all you will have to sand is where your filling the seams in, then just hand sand the panelling quick, use a bonding primer and apply your granulated paint. Probably take about two days for one guy, and its less work than taking the panelling down and hanging new drywall.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Wood Paneling Makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
That is going to be a fair amount of work to fill in all the seams with compound, sand and prime it. Doable but you might not like the end result. Are you sure you don't want to just demo the paneling and hang new drywall or something? It is still going to be crappy paneling when you are done and it looks like is delaminating or something in places already?
I would vote to see what is actually under that paneling, it might be pristine drywall or plaster. As he said you are still going to end up with crappy paneling that has been painted.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Wood Paneling Makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
that is going to be a fair amount of work to fill in all the seams with compound, sand and prime it. Doable but you might not like the end result. Are you sure you don't want to just demo the paneling and hang new drywall or something? It is still going to be crappy paneling when you are done and it looks like is delaminating or something in places already?
+1000

Advertisement

JohnJak is offline   Reply With Quote