Wood Painting Conundrum! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Wood painting conundrum!

Hi all,

I have just moved into a new house and I wanted to update the bathroom cabinets. I can tell from looking inside that they were originally painted a sky blue color. The previous owners painted them an off white color.

I have painted them with three layers of Rustoleum Ultra Cover Premium Latex Paint in semi-gloss white. HOWEVER, for some reason the original sky blue color keeps seeping through, and now the whole thing is a very light blue.

Where am I going wrong? Could it be that iíve painted a latex paint over a water based paint for example? Should I be painting a primer over the whole lot and starting again with a water based paint?

Hope someone can help me, iíve got myself in a right muddle!

Thanks,
Lauren

Advertisement

LaurieHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Wood painting conundrum!

Prime with a shellac based primer like BIN. But be aware that the number of layers of paint that you describe can start to hide any details in the wood and make operating the doors difficult if they are inset. It's a stopgap measure only until you can replace the cabinets. Or, if there have some intrinsic value, such as they were made of birdseye maple under all of the archaeology, you can try stripping them to restore them.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Wood painting conundrum!

Hi Live_oak,

Thank you for your reply, itís really helpful! Iíll try and get hold of a shellac based primer and give that a go. What type of paint would you suggest to go over this type of primer? Do you think iím ok to continue using the Rustoleum Ultra Cover Premium Latex Paint in semi-gloss white over this primer?

The cabinets have no value, itís just a stopgap solution until they can be replaced. If any of the doors start to stick, I think iíll just sand down the sides for now.

Thanks again.
LaurieHK
LaurieHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,304

Wood painting conundrum!

It might not be the paint, it might be technique, quality of brushes/rollers, and/or not putting on enough paint. I will say that the RustOleum latex is not a good coverage paint. I have used it on metal doors and had to apply 3 coats.

A shellac based primer like Zinsser's Cover Stain is good stuff, but it smells to high heaven. If you don't like strong fumes, try Zinsser's 1-2-3 which is a water-based bonding primer that sticks to anything. Problem is, you would be starting all over if you decide to prime now.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Wood painting conundrum!

Laurie, the Bin primer is available everywhere . . . but be very careful, its FUMES are AWFUL, you'll need serious, constant ventilation. Get out of the room every few minutes.
corindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latex paint , paint and primer , problem