Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Wood expansion when wet

I am restoring my old house, and I had to replace 2 corner-boards going over the wood siding. I have put 2 coats of oil-based primer, and so far, one coat of laytex. Here is my problem. I know that wood expands and contracts, and I also know that paint will protect the wood. My problem is, it rained yesterday, and where the boards are joined together, because of the wood expansion, there is a sight seperation now where the boards butt up to one another. If this continues, in time, rot will occur. I used #1 pine boards. I am still going to put another top-coat on, but I was just surprised that this happened. I know that I can run a bead of caulk over this joint, but is there a better way? Am I doing something wrong?

Please, any and all comments will be appreciated

Thank you

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 554

Wood expansion when wet

I am having a hard time visualizing... when wood gets wet it expands along its width and thickness and gaps usually close. Did you prime the back of the corner boards?

47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Wood expansion when wet

Just like it says on the pre-primed trim: "Prime All Cuts"
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wood expansion when wet

As always, backprime the trim and prime all cut ends
A bead of caulk along the edge would be in order if there were any separation of the two pieces (sides) on the corner boards

If you mean the butt ends of two vertical pieces (together to make one side of the corner), then it should have got tighter, not be gapping
But, regardless, if that's the issue then yes I would caulk it

It really shouldn't be doing that though....you may have other issues
Make sure you are installing these properly

And really, you should be using a single piece for each side of the corner
They should be readily available up to 16'
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

Wood expansion when wet

Geez guys, I read my post, and understand why you were confused. I made that post on my lunch hour, and was running late. Please, let me explain better.

With the clap-board siding, there are the long vertical boards, for the corners that are butt joined together. These boards are about 11 feet in length, and cover the clap-board ends at the corner. I usually give the wood (bare wood) 2 coats of oil-based primer, and 2 of laytex top-coat. After one coat of the top-coat, it rained (4 days after painting). Where the vertical corner boards are butt-joined together, a slight crack has opened up in a few places. Of course, this seperates the paint, which in time, will cause some problems.

After making my first post, I realized what had happened. On one of the corner boards, its completely finished. However, on the other corner board, this board will be removed again in the future, so I never primed the back side of this board. I always prime all edges, but forgot this detail. Thats what you get when you don't think things through. I have a feeling I am going to be working on the house until the day I die (see avitar). Its a pain being a perfectionist. Its never good enough. LOL

Every one of you were right on the money. I appreciate the posts.

Thanks again

Bofus
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Wood expansion when wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusmosby View Post
Where the vertical corner boards are butt-joined together, a slight crack has opened up in a few places.
Ah...technically that would not be a "butt-joint"
But..t...in that case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
A bead of caulk along the edge would be in order if there were any separation of the two pieces (sides) on the corner boards
A nice bead of 35/45 year siliconized acrylic caulk would be in order then
Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #7

Wood expansion when wet

Next weekend if its not raining, I'll just remove the one board, prime it on the underside, and re-mount. Hopefully that will take care of it. When it rained, the wind was really blowing from the east, which is the board that was NOT primed on the underside.

Technically, isn't that considered a butt-joint? I dunno, all I know is that the thing-a-ma-jigger goes over the edge of the other thing-a-ma-jigger........never mind.

Thanks again..

Bofus
Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Wood expansion when wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusmosby View Post
Technically, isn't that considered a butt-joint?
...I suppose it might be
I should have said, "generally that isn't referred to as a butt joint"

Technically I'm not even sure it's "joinery"

But when referring to the outside corner trim around here (one thing I've found from sites like these there are regional differences), when we say "butt end" of the corner board, we usually are referring to where one vertical board butts up against another to make a "continuous" corner trim board out of two pieces

They often have to be caulked on re-paints as a space has opened between them

Just be glad you haven't got a henway
Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #9
Pro Painter

Wood expansion when wet

Temperature is probably causing the shrinkage. If it rained, it probably got colder, hence shrinkage.
Caulk is your friend in this situation. Good caulk will expand and contract with the wood.

Have you considered cutting the joints at an angle? That way when it shrinks, there won't be a gap. I think it's called a scarf joint.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #10

Wood expansion when wet

I agree, it really is not a true butt-joint, however, because the boards meet each other like a butt-joint would be, that was the best description. I lie butt-end better. Thank you........OK, I'll bite. I googled "henway", and all I got was the weight of a chicken.

As far as cutting the corner boards at an angle....I am trying to restore the house as it was, so I wouldn't want to make any changes that would change the way it was built many years ago. You know, a real stickler for details.

I think once the rain is over for a little bit, I'll first remove the one board, and prime on all sides. If there are any problems after that, then I'll use caulk.

Thanks again for your feed-back. I appreciate it!

Bofus