DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood Bench - Best paint for durability/cleaning?

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Rob Mick 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I've built a five foot long by 12 inch wide bench to be used in an ice cream store. It's a prototype which, when approved, will be used as the sample for other benches. The bottom is made out of 3/4 inch birch ply, the top (seat) is 3/4" MDF. I now need to paint it and was wondering what type of paint would be best in this commercial application. I'm hoping to avoid the hassle/expense of an epoxy paint. Is there a good one step enamel paint out there? I didn't want to go with melamine and I need to get a durable finish that will stand up to daily cleaning. Thanks for any suggestions!
Rob

#2 ·
If it's going to be used for food prep, check the local regs to see if painting it is OK
Might not matter, but you should check

But to answer your question, I would use Ben Moore's Porch & Floor Enamel in that application

I've used it in many commercial apps like this including restaurants

#5 ·
I ended up getting Wallauer epoxy enamel paint. It's an oil based paint that they say is self priming (not that I'd mind priming them). I was considering BM's industrial two part epoxy paint, but the price, the mixing (I'm no chemist) and the fact that I have several benches to do and might run out or have it harden too fast etc. made me bail.

I'm a carpenter, not a painter, but my painter buddy told me that a good oil based paint should be fine.

We'll see if he's still my buddy in a few! :)

Thanks for your advice!

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.