Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Teg

Share |

Windows are wood colored vinyl, can I paint trim white?

Hope the title says it all.

We replaced windows with vinyl windows but FOOLISHLY chose the wood colored vinyl. It looked like it would match the stained trim, but it does not.

I cannot go through dh trying to restain the trim and it not matching, plus I am TIRED of wood trim - which is all over the house.

Can window trim be WHITE of the windows are stained wood?

I have been searchinfg for an answer to this since August.

Thank you.
Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

Hey Teg,

I have seen it done and it actually looks nice. If all the trim in the house is white it will work. The wood colored windows would add a nice contrast to the white trim and it would especially go well if you have wood floors and white baseboards. I would say go for it. If anything it will brighten up the room. -Gregg
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Teg

Thanks for replying.

Then, will this limit the wall color choices? I currently have parchment (not even sure of the NON color poant choice) but really want to choose some real colors - sage and cinnamon and latte, will the wood window, white trim, richer color paint work?

Finally, what is it like to paint stained trim? Do I need to sand and prime? I ams ure it has been explained on her 1000 times - where can I find directions?

THANKS!
Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post

Finally, what is it like to paint stained trim? Do I need to sand and prime? I ams ure it has been explained on her 1000 times - where can I find directions?

THANKS!
Clean them, and if they have a sheen, scuff sand them. Use a good quality primer. Benjamin Moore Fresh Start ( product #023-00 ) will work excellent for your project. Seals well, and is good as a bonding primer too. You can paint with any finish you like over that. Personally, I like oil. People are afraid of oil...I dont know why. It drys much slower than latex, but it levels ( smooths out ) very well. It can really help a novice painter turn out a nice finish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote