Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window stool staining

My house was built in the 20's. The interior trim has always been painted and is all southern yellow pine, except for the window stools. I am unsure what variety of wood was used. Under the original layer of primer the stool was coated with with something (varnish?) that is now dark black. Despite stripping the stool with peel away stripper, sanding, and applying numerous coats of water based stain killer, I still get a cranberry red color stain bleeding thru my finish coat of paint. After the stain killer I apply 100% acrylic primer and two finish coats of enamel trim paint.

Has anyone encountered this, or have a suggestion?

sonofrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

window stool staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofrus View Post
My house was built in the 20's. The interior trim has always been painted and is all southern yellow pine, except for the window stools. I am unsure what variety of wood was used. Under the original layer of primer the stool was coated with with something (varnish?) that is now dark black. Despite stripping the stool with peel away stripper, sanding, and applying numerous coats of water based stain killer, I still get a cranberry red color stain bleeding thru my finish coat of paint. After the stain killer I apply 100% acrylic primer and two finish coats of enamel trim paint.

Has anyone encountered this, or have a suggestion?
If you're getting bleed through I recommend Zinsser B-I-N Alcohol based stain killing primer. It's very thin and drys fast, you may need a couple coats but this will hold back any stain or bleed through. You may also want to wear a respirator or open your windows for fresh air while using this product. Also I recommend using a small white china bristle throw away brush as it is a pain to clean, all paint and hardware stores have them. A 2" brush will cost less then a dollar. Once you prime with the B-I-N you're good to paint.

JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

window stool staining

Thanks for the suggestions. I had opted for the other stain blocker because of the easy clean-up but tossing the brush is even easier.
sonofrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

window stool staining

I agree with JMDPainting

Zinsser makes great primers. Another option would be oil based coverstain, it also dries quickly and does an excellent job blocking stains. The upside is the smell it is much less potent. Either option will work.

Pearl Painters Portland Oregon
www.PearlPainters.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDPainting View Post
If you're getting bleed through I recommend Zinsser B-I-N Alcohol based stain killing primer. It's very thin and drys fast, you may need a couple coats but this will hold back any stain or bleed through. You may also want to wear a respirator or open your windows for fresh air while using this product. Also I recommend using a small white china bristle throw away brush as it is a pain to clean, all paint and hardware stores have them. A 2" brush will cost less then a dollar. Once you prime with the B-I-N you're good to paint.
Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote