Window Sills/Borders White - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Window Sills/Borders White

I would like to redo my windows sills and borders. I would like to paint or replace them. Of course painting the inner sill would be best but I'm thinking of replacing the borders. Could someone provide suggestions on painting? I believe they have a light stain on them now. I attached a few pics. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Window Sills/Borders White-photo1.jpg   Window Sills/Borders White-photo2.jpg   Window Sills/Borders White-photo3.jpg  

Advertisement

tate16t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,280

Generally speaking, you will have to scuff sand them a bit........you could even use a sponge sander for this purpose. Vacuum up the dust. Then you must apply a bonding primer to give your topcoats something to "bite" onto. In your case you may want to use an oil-based bonding primer because those windows look as if they have been stained and clear-coated. If you use a water based bonding primer, you risk the chance of staining/bleeding of tannins/oils, etc into your finish coats. On second look, you may NOT have any clear coat on those windows in which case you should definitely use an oil-based bonding primer.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (08-12-2012), ToolSeeker (09-29-2012), user1007 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Generally speaking, you will have to scuff sand them a bit........you could even use a sponge sander for this purpose. Vacuum up the dust. Then you must apply a bonding primer to give your topcoats something to "bite" onto. In your case you may want to use an oil-based bonding primer because those windows look as if they have been stained and clear-coated. If you use a water based bonding primer, you risk the chance of staining/bleeding of tannins/oils, etc into your finish coats. On second look, you may NOT have any clear coat on those windows in which case you should definitely use an oil-based bonding primer.
Thank you for your response. You're right there's no clear coat.

I beleive this is a personal preference however would you replace the borders/trim or paint them?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

From what I can see, the trim looks to be in decent shape so unless you do not like the millwork pattern, I certainly would not replace them. For one thing it will be somewhat expensive and you will have to fit them which can be labor intensive.

If you are not sure. Sand, prep, prime and paint one section to see if you are happy with the look. Then make your decision.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
From what I can see, the trim looks to be in decent shape so unless you do not like the millwork pattern, I certainly would not replace them. For one thing it will be somewhat expensive and you will have to fit them which can be labor intensive.

If you are not sure. Sand, prep, prime and paint one section to see if you are happy with the look. Then make your decision.
I agree with what sdsester said,have you done this type of work before?,it looks pretty easy,but believe me it can be a challenge for a first timer.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 634

The bottom part is called a stool and the trim on the sides is called casing for future referance.
Sills are the outside part at the bottom of the window.
The directions you recived are dead on.
Use a quality 2-1/2" sash brush and quality paint from a real paint store so there's less brush marks.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

Thanks. It is the casing I'm considering replacing. I think it looks dated.

I have installed casing before upstairs in my home a few years ago and I do recall it being time consuming.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

Looks like someone for some reason used beaded moulding not colonial mouding. It's not dated it's just the wrong moulding for a window.
http://howelumber.com/images/moulding_casing.gif

You can buy colonial moulding already primed in pine and MDF.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like someone for some reason used beaded moulding not colonial mouding. It's not dated it's just the wrong moulding for a window.
http://howelumber.com/images/moulding_casing.gif

You can buy colonial moulding already primed in pine and MDF.
Funny, I've lived in this house for 14yrs and have always wondered about this casing. I have never seen it anywhere else. Now I know why .
Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
What grit sander do you recommend, 180?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #11

Since there's no clear coat on top of the stained wood could I get away with one coat of primer?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

In any case you only need one coat of primer. Primers job is to grip to whatever is underneath ( and maybe solve a couple other problems too) , but it is not good at "coverage". Your quality finish paint will do that better. Plan on at least 2 top coats. Fill holes and caulk after primer.
tate16t (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by tate16t View Post
Since there's no clear coat on top of the stained wood could I get away with one coat of primer?

All you ever need, ever, on anything.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

Thanks all. I completed painting the bay window and like how it came out, thanks to you all. I will post pics soon.

What moulding parts do I need to create this craftman style trim.....

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=craft...w=1280&bih=685
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #15

Bull nose
1 X 6 clear pine or MDF
The top could be any number of differant trims.
Cove, crown, base cap ECT.

http://pondershollow.com/pages/bulln...mouldings.html

http://www.tiloindustries.com/profil..._profiles.html

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
tate16t (10-22-2012)