DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Window Sills/Borders White (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/window-sills-borders-white-153421/)

tate16t 08-12-2012 12:55 PM

Window Sills/Borders White
 
3 Attachment(s)
I would like to redo my windows sills and borders. I would like to paint or replace them. Of course painting the inner sill would be best but I'm thinking of replacing the borders. Could someone provide suggestions on painting? I believe they have a light stain on them now. I attached a few pics. Thanks

Gymschu 08-12-2012 01:43 PM

Generally speaking, you will have to scuff sand them a bit........you could even use a sponge sander for this purpose. Vacuum up the dust. Then you must apply a bonding primer to give your topcoats something to "bite" onto. In your case you may want to use an oil-based bonding primer because those windows look as if they have been stained and clear-coated. If you use a water based bonding primer, you risk the chance of staining/bleeding of tannins/oils, etc into your finish coats. On second look, you may NOT have any clear coat on those windows in which case you should definitely use an oil-based bonding primer.

tate16t 08-12-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gymschu (Post 986842)
Generally speaking, you will have to scuff sand them a bit........you could even use a sponge sander for this purpose. Vacuum up the dust. Then you must apply a bonding primer to give your topcoats something to "bite" onto. In your case you may want to use an oil-based bonding primer because those windows look as if they have been stained and clear-coated. If you use a water based bonding primer, you risk the chance of staining/bleeding of tannins/oils, etc into your finish coats. On second look, you may NOT have any clear coat on those windows in which case you should definitely use an oil-based bonding primer.

Thank you for your response. You're right there's no clear coat.

I beleive this is a personal preference however would you replace the borders/trim or paint them?

user1007 08-12-2012 06:40 PM

From what I can see, the trim looks to be in decent shape so unless you do not like the millwork pattern, I certainly would not replace them. For one thing it will be somewhat expensive and you will have to fit them which can be labor intensive.

If you are not sure. Sand, prep, prime and paint one section to see if you are happy with the look. Then make your decision.

Canarywood1 08-12-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 986965)
From what I can see, the trim looks to be in decent shape so unless you do not like the millwork pattern, I certainly would not replace them. For one thing it will be somewhat expensive and you will have to fit them which can be labor intensive.

If you are not sure. Sand, prep, prime and paint one section to see if you are happy with the look. Then make your decision.

I agree with what sdsester said,have you done this type of work before?,it looks pretty easy,but believe me it can be a challenge for a first timer.

joecaption 08-12-2012 07:47 PM

The bottom part is called a stool and the trim on the sides is called casing for future referance.
Sills are the outside part at the bottom of the window.
The directions you recived are dead on.
Use a quality 2-1/2" sash brush and quality paint from a real paint store so there's less brush marks.

tate16t 08-12-2012 08:25 PM

Thanks. It is the casing I'm considering replacing. :) I think it looks dated.


I have installed casing before upstairs in my home a few years ago and I do recall it being time consuming.

joecaption 08-12-2012 08:53 PM

Looks like someone for some reason used beaded moulding not colonial mouding. It's not dated it's just the wrong moulding for a window.
http://howelumber.com/images/moulding_casing.gif

You can buy colonial moulding already primed in pine and MDF.

tate16t 08-12-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 987054)
Looks like someone for some reason used beaded moulding not colonial mouding. It's not dated it's just the wrong moulding for a window.
http://howelumber.com/images/moulding_casing.gif

You can buy colonial moulding already primed in pine and MDF.

Funny, I've lived in this house for 14yrs and have always wondered about this casing. I have never seen it anywhere else. Now I know why :).

tate16t 09-29-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gymschu (Post 986842)
Generally speaking, you will have to scuff sand them a bit........you could even use a sponge sander for this purpose. Vacuum up the dust. Then you must apply a bonding primer to give your topcoats something to "bite" onto. In your case you may want to use an oil-based bonding primer because those windows look as if they have been stained and clear-coated. If you use a water based bonding primer, you risk the chance of staining/bleeding of tannins/oils, etc into your finish coats. On second look, you may NOT have any clear coat on those windows in which case you should definitely use an oil-based bonding primer.

What grit sander do you recommend, 180?

tate16t 10-15-2012 03:59 PM

Since there's no clear coat on top of the stained wood could I get away with one coat of primer?

Brushjockey 10-15-2012 04:27 PM

In any case you only need one coat of primer. Primers job is to grip to whatever is underneath ( and maybe solve a couple other problems too) , but it is not good at "coverage". Your quality finish paint will do that better. Plan on at least 2 top coats. Fill holes and caulk after primer.

chrisn 10-15-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tate16t (Post 1031372)
Since there's no clear coat on top of the stained wood could I get away with one coat of primer?


All you ever need, ever, on anything.

tate16t 10-22-2012 09:03 PM

Thanks all. I completed painting the bay window and like how it came out, thanks to you all. I will post pics soon.

What moulding parts do I need to create this craftman style trim.....

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=craft...w=1280&bih=685

joecaption 10-22-2012 09:17 PM

Bull nose
1 X 6 clear pine or MDF
The top could be any number of differant trims.
Cove, crown, base cap ECT.

http://pondershollow.com/pages/bulln...mouldings.html

http://www.tiloindustries.com/profil..._profiles.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.