DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Will painting stairs hold up to wear?

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  4ThGeneration 
#1 ·
Aesthetically refinishing my basement. Paint, carpet, electrical sockets.

I am getting new carpet for the floors, and the current carpet on the stairs is ugly.

I won't be putting any carpet on the stairs for now.

Will paint hold up for a few months while I figure out what carpet to get for the stairs, if I get it at all? I'd likely use white, and maybe use the semi-gloss I have for the rest of the trim.

Would I need to protect it with something clear? and what product would I use? It would need to be clear, not poly as it is a bit yellow. Maybe the laquer I used for my white desk?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Your best bet might be a porch and floor paint that will have something like urethane or polyurethane part of the chemistry to reinforce it. Some floor paint manufacturers recommend applying without a primer so check the product instructions. It comes in both oil-based and water-based formulations and in a wide variety of pre-mixed colors (some brands can be tinted).

Flooring paint is actually quite durable and you will certainly get many more than a few months out of it if you want to. It does dry to a sheen that can be a bit slippery though so you may end up wanting to add some non-skid tread pads to the stairs after you are done.

Getting the carpet adhesive off is going to be the hardest part of the task. With lots of open windows, try an adhesive remover or something like Krud Kutter, Goo Gone, Oops if it is not too bad. Just in case you do not get it all off, I would use an oil-based product if you can buy it in your area and don't mind working with solvent based products and the longer drying times.

An old geezer of a painter taught me to mix water-based poly in with latex semi in a pinch for doors and floors and I guess it works alright but you have to work fast, it is hard on brushes and I am sure the idea makes paint chemists cringe. You can also let semi cure completely and then coat with water-based urethane or poly clear coat floor finish.

#3 ·
I agree that you need to use a paint(enamel) designed foor walking surface. Sherwin Williams has there porch and floor enamel, which we usually use on porches, floors, and stairs. It will last a while. It will be a little slippery as stated, you can go with treadplates or add a non slip clear additive to the paint upon your final coat. We usually use shark grit, you can purchase that at sherwin williams and you add it to the paint for your final coat. Its clear and creates a non slip surface. As mentioned already make sure you clean the surface well first.

#4 ·
For What It's Worth: In mid July I was looking for really good paint to do the floor of a new cargo trailer, I wanted it to be durable and non-slippery. It just happens that Sherwin-Williams had what I needed. It was a floor and deck enamel and the additive was a very fine powder material. I believe he said it was a fine glass material, not sand. This turned out to be a good paint and the texture is very fine. I have to get on my knees occassionally on the trailer and it doesn't hurt at all. There is skid resistance on the ramp door, which I really needed. Good Luck, David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.