Wicker Furniture - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
JPM
Bill Traver

Rewards Points: 81
Unhappy

Wicker furniture

I am trying to figure out the best way to paint some old wicker furniture. It is dark in color (brownish). It is not working out to well.

I tried a a Rustoleum type spray paint but it does not seem to work well. Is there a primer spray I should use first?

I also tried a paintbrush to apply a primer but that was pointless (could not get in the crevices).

There are only 4 pieces to do so its not worth purchasing a spray gun (at least I think).

Thanks,

Bill

Advertisement

JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

Wicker furniture

We painted some wicker furniture for a customer a couple of years ago and it turned out really well. I can't imagine doing it any other way besides airless sprayer. You could rent one for a few hours.

Advertisement

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
JPM (05-14-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Wicker furniture

OP, did you clean the furniture before you began spray painting it?
noboru wataya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
JPM
Bill Traver

Wicker furniture

I powerwashed the furniture ... since I only had a couple of pieces, I decided against setting up the sprayer and instead used some Rustoleum spray primer then a spray can for color. I used about 1 can of each per piece.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #5

Wicker furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
I powerwashed the furniture ... since I only had a couple of pieces, I decided against setting up the sprayer and instead used some Rustoleum spray primer then a spray can for color. I used about 1 can of each per piece.
that's really odd. how shiny was the paint that was on there before? (i should have asked this n the last post).

and what do you mean it's not doing well? is the paint not sticking or is there just an uneven finish? what color are u using to go back over the existing paint?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
JPM
Bill Traver

Wicker furniture

I powerwashed to clean off dirt and debris. Whatever the original coating was, it was gone some time ago....just weathered wicker to deal with. No issues with the new work ... the primer covered and dried well. The coat of paint went on smooth (used a satin finish, not gloss) and the stuff looks almost new. I figured that it cost about $8/piece based on the two cans of spraypaint. If I had more than 3 pieces to do, I would probably have done it with my spraygun.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #7

Wicker furniture

So then what is the problem if the primer was fine and the paint went on smooth?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
JPM
Bill Traver

Wicker furniture

SORRY ... forgot about my original situation with this ...

The problem was not using a primer. In addition, I used what I believe to be an inferior spray paint (krylon?) that did not cover well ... even after three coats!! I tested it later against the Rustoleum product with both being applied to the furniture after the primer ... it still had some showthrough.

My advice is to definately go with a good strong primer, and avoid brands that you do not have good research on ... my initial brand was picked by simply looking at what cap color my wife thought ideal
Old 05-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wicker furniture

Thanks for the update!!!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #10

Wicker furniture

These tips always seemed to help me when I was painting my furniture http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/20...-properly.html
bugmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Wicker furniture

Because you power-washed it, I'm going to guess this is outdoor furniture? Buy an aerosol package of primer such as 1-2-3. This has some flexibility to it. Use an acrylic or polyurethane/acrylic finish that will also have flexibility.

I don't like wicker for many reasons. It is difficult to paint and will always look like it needs re-painted.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wicker furniture

I rescued butt ugly antique wicker from my grandparent's basement and it became the anchor for a really nice, airy, family room in a California ranch with sit around fireplace and lots of skylights. The set came with a giant sofa even I could curl up on with a book and it had a rocking chair. A nice piece of glass was cut for the table. I had to do some repairs and of course the century old horse hair cushions and pillows got tossed. It had sentimental value too which is never good when approaching restoration of antiques.

As I am known to do when lazy? And not willing to rent an airless? I dragged it to my local body shop and had them prime and paint it. My folks painted more things for me than ever cars! They loved the projects and variety too. They got tired of my tiny British sports car restoration projects in boring British milk white and Green. Candy Apple Bugs and TR-6 chick hippy mobiles were another matter.

When I left California hoping it will fall into the Ocean any day now, I gave it all to a friend, an interior designer, and she sold it all for around $14,000. Even I was shocked. She had offered me $8,000 for it a couple years earlier and before I finished it. Don't be too quick to diss wicker if it is real, old, and restored. The Pier One type crap? Forget it.

And by the way, don't be so bold with finishing other antiques. Sometimes you destroy their value the more you touch them.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 03-01-2012 at 01:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote