Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Why the yell is yellow so hard?

We're painting our kitchen "Golden Flame" using Valspar Ultra in satin from Lowe's. Started with a light gray primer by Bullseye, using quality Wooster/Purdy rollers/brushes. Just finished up second coat, splotchy, cut in marks, all around just very unappealing.

What would some of you suggest technique wise for the 3rd coat? I have never had good success with satin's, and I've learned after the fact now, that yellow is a PITA color to boot.

mckaymotoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

I would have had the primer tinted yellow not gray.
Gray is fine if your going with a really dark color, like red.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

the paint manager at Lowe's suggested it, a pro painter happened to be at the desk while I was checking out, trying to score business, he also agreed on the gray primer, so I took the advice.

Now that we're on the 2nd coat, what can I do to make the 3rd a success?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Yellow is right up there As far as being the worst covering color. It doesn't help that you used a lower end paint and a the wrong color primer - not a good combination. This is one case of where a cheaper paint ends up being the most expensive. Just apply another coat and hope for the best. Not too much else you can do at this point except apply multiple coats until you like the results.

Last edited by mazzonetv; 08-03-2012 at 04:21 PM.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

we actually started just with the paint, 2nd coat, looked horrible.
Wall was a light khaki, I called manager, went in, got primer, they gave me new gallon.

So here we are, really on the 4th coat, not counting primer.
I knew the Valspar wasn't the best, also didn't think it was the worst. I wanted to get BM, misses didn't want to spend the extra, see I was right. Had decent reviews from other users, tough lesson to learn, I have guest coming tomorrow night, my house is a wreck.

So how can I salvage this? I have a good bit of paint left as Lowe's gave me a new can on the mess up of their employee, also sent me home with remainder of what was left of original gallon.

The area is about 300 sqf

Last edited by mckaymotoworks; 08-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Just so we are on the same page - you did one complete coat, started on the second and it looked horrible. So you went to Lowes, they sold you gray primer. You did one coat of gray primer, and one coat of yellow so far? If that is correct, the easiest thing to do would be to do another coat or two of the yellow. It "should" cover. The other option, would be to go to Lowes, tell them you are unhappy with the paint and ask for a refund. Take that money to BM and get yourself a couple of gallons of Regal Select or Aura and you will see a HUGE difference. Not to mention you'll have bragging rights with the wife and enough guilt to hopefully get her to make you a really nice dinner =) Good luck!!

Oops - forgot to add. In the future I would suggest one coat of a deep tint primer - tinted to that color. And then you would have been fine with no more than two coats of either BM regal select or Aura. Aura will cover just about anything in two coats, however for those REALLY dark yellows and reds I would usually still prime first..

Last edited by mazzonetv; 08-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

Originally did two coats, looked terrible. Went to Lowe's, got primer, covered nicely.

She just finished second coat after the primer two hours ago. Splotchy, cut in marks. I should be able to use just one coat if I go with a quality BM?

I've been dragging this out for 3 days as it's making me frustrated it looks so crappy.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #8

I think at this point if you went over it with Aura you would be good with one coat. One gallon would cover the 300 sq ft - i would have them match the Valspar color - it should be relatively close. Maybe you can get Lowes to refund you for the Valspar or at least give you a store credit.

good luck!!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

my uncle decided to buy paint before talking ot me. he slent over 900.00 on valspar paint and primer in one. when he went back to buy another 300.00 worth of paint to put the third coat on the woman said" we should have told you to prime first". that was why he bought the paint and primer in one. oh well. by the time i talked to him he already had the paint and couldnt return it. i would have complained a lot tho to a manager. you can't trust what they tell you in the big box stores. that person mixing the paint for you might have been working at wendy's the month before.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (08-03-2012), user1007 (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Agree- grey under Yellow is wrong. Fastest way out is as above- get the best there is- but even Aura is straining to get a pure yellow in 2.
Aura works differently- do all brushwork first, let dry ( usually before you get all the way around the room. Then roll.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,120

Not to depress you or anything, but as a professional painter I have actually had to apply SEVEN coats of yellow to a wall to get the coverage I wanted. It was Sherwin-Williams paint, my favorite, but yellow is just one of those animals.........
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

Hi,
I just purchased Sherwin Williams Emerald in a yellow color. I am attempting to paint over a very dark brown and deep green tree that was painted on the wall. The Staff at SW assured me the that Emerald would cover this in one coat. It did not. I am hoping for success with coat number two, and that they will provide me with the second gallon considering that I would have purchased a lower priced paint if I knew I would have needed to use more. My color yellow did cover the mess well, though, in one coat and Im hoping coat two does the trick.
stelmowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

The guy was a fool to tell you one coat. Just wrong. Good luck with two
ben's plumbing (08-05-2012), Gymschu (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,120

There is absolutely no paint in the world that covers in one coat...........NONE! Once in a great while you might get lucky and be able to put one coat on over a similar color, but in 99% of most cases, you have to apply at least 2 coats to get the depth of color and protection on the wall.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
stelmowalker (08-07-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
There is absolutely no paint in the world that covers in one coat...........NONE! Once in a great while you might get lucky and be able to put one coat on over a similar color, but in 99% of most cases, you have to apply at least 2 coats to get the depth of color and protection on the wall.
well said....but I have used s.w promar 200 on ceilings dover white on dover white.....one coat...looks great all the time..rental units no complaints

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
stelmowalker (08-07-2012)