Why Not Use An Auto Spray Gun For Home Acrylic Paints? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

why not use an auto spray gun for home acrylic paints?

Hi there - dumb question for the day

I was lucky enough to inherit a Marquip 3 HP / 13 cfm air compressor from a mate moving to Aussie (from NZ) - I've spent some money on having it serviced and buying attachments for it.

At some stage I'll be using it to repaint a 1972 Landcruiser FJ40 that I'm renovating and also an AC Cobra replica that I'm building. At this stage I'm thinking that I'll probably go for the Eastwood Concours HVLP gun as it only requires 4cfm at 29 psi and is a pretty competitively priced unit.

But I got to thinking: why can't I use this to also repaint the inside of my house? The local paint-suppliers have all told me that I need to buy Wagner airless kit. But my experience to-date has been that with only 4.5 million inhabitants, our local suppliers generally dispense advice that is often based more on the biased advice of distributor sales-reps and not necessarily based on experience. And it's also convenient (for them) that they want to sell me a $1700 Wagner unit on top of the auto spray gun!

From what I've been able to find out on the internerd, it seems that nozzle size will be one issue: auto spray guns tend to use 1.2-2 mm nozzle sizes whereas acrylic house-paint seems to need about 4.0mm (0.17 inch) nozzle size. Is it possible to get a 4.0 mm nozzle for an auto spray gun?

But I've also been told that (by local suppliers) that auto spray-guns generally can't handle acrylic paint. Is that still the case with the new breed of auto spray guns that are designed for water-born paint?

Anybody got any thoughts / advice to offer?

Thanks in advance for your help ;o)

Advertisement

justanothernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

There's a reason you wont ever see a pro using a set up like that- wrong tool for the job.
Conventional ( that is what a compressor set up is called) was used for solvent based and detail work. It doesn't push enough material to be good for large scale work, and because it uses so much air it creates lots of overspray.
Most will use Airless for large scale ( or if they're Very good at it and know tips, pressure etc for some fine work), or HVLP- High Volume Low Pressure- which has replaced conventional for detail work. Much less overspray and can handle the heavier waterborne paints.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvasin View Post
Is it possible to get the rims coated with powder again? Or is the metal polish going to protect the rims just as well? The powder lasted about 12 years - I'm not sure how long metal polish will last? Maybe I'd have to polish the rims once a year or so?
Are you asking about powder coating? That's a whole different animal than paint.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Not sure where that second poster came from talking about rims. The OP never said anything about rims.
Unless your home is new constrution and there's nothing in the home yet like flooring and trim then forget about spray painting inside. There's going to be over spray everywhere.
I Use a Graco XR7 for spray painting and it cost about 1/3 of what you stated an airless sprayer cost.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure where that second poster came from talking about rims. The OP never said anything about rims.
Unless your home is new constrution and there's nothing in the home yet like flooring and trim then forget about spray painting inside. There's going to be over spray everywhere.
I Use a Graco XR7 for spray painting and it cost about 1/3 of what you stated an airless sprayer cost.
Since the original post is a year old, I was responding to the one about rims. Also, the OP is from New Zealand and I suspect a Wagner would run about that down there.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote