Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #1

Share |

why my patching shows through

i am not sure why after i patch a nail hole, etc. that it shows through after the paint is dry. If anyone can help me out, i'd surely appreciate it. I used joint compound to patch the holes and sanded it smooth then used kilz primer and the patched areas are still noticable, but mostly just at night when the lights are on but it drives me crazy----help!:confused: thanks Jan

Last edited by jan_renee; 12-11-2005 at 01:30 PM.
jan_renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
I'm just stirring the:

I am sure real painters will be along to tell you some GOOD answers soon enough, but in the meantime let me speculate a bit:

1) If the way the paint was put oin the patch differs from the way the entirety of the wall was painted it will look different. That is to say, if the wall was originally sprayed, and then your patch was rolled, there will be differences in how it reflects light and in how the paint itself looks.

2) Obviously it could be a color change in the paint. Even if you use the same coror from the original paint bucket, if the paint on the wall has been there over time it will have faded, picked up grease and dust, cured far longer, and otherwise have changed. This means that the colors will be slightly different. This factor increases the longer the times between original painting and patch painting increases.

3) I speculate that perhaps the patch material is soaking up paint a lot more than one might expect and just not getting the paint on it in the same way the wall is elsewhere. Make sure you are using the right patch material for the material you are patching. The primer is a good thing and it is what I'd have first bit on had you not used it. Perhaps another light coat of primer and then another top coat might do somethign for you.

4) Painting before the patching is COMPLETELY dried/cured. This could cause some bleed through and change the colors, it also would change the absorbtion - see above.

Last edited by CGofMP; 12-11-2005 at 02:57 PM.
CGofMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Remodeler

Jan,
You may also find that priming a part with Kilz will look different than the rest of the wall. The Kilz will seal the spot well while the rest of the wall remains unsealed. I had this issue with ceilings. Smoke will get sealed under Kilz but unless the complete ceiling wad sealed it showed.
This is taking for granted that you painted the whole wall and not just the patched areas. Unless the paint job was fresh, painting the patched areas only will look different.
As CG mentioned the texture can play a roll also. When you roll on paint generally you build up an orange peel effect. Then you patch and sand a smooth area (repair) and loose that orange peel build up. Nothing to do but try to build up the same texture.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_renee
i am not sure why after i patch a nail hole, etc. that it shows through after the paint is dry. If anyone can help me out, i'd surely appreciate it. I used joint compound to patch the holes and sanded it smooth then used kilz primer and the patched areas are still noticable, but mostly just at night when the lights are on but it drives me crazy----help!:confused: thanks Jan
How many coats of mud on it. try hitting it 3 times. If you can feel a bump you can see a bump. HS.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Are these patches made before painting the entire wall, or are you patching, spot priming, then spot painting?
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Remodeler

I think we lost Jan.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

"...can you hear me now?"
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
Professional Painter

Jan come back!!!

My advice is simple, but has been proven. It's similar to the earlier posts.

However, if you patch anything on an already painted wall, you'll need to paint that spot with enough coats that is doesn't have that "dry" look to it. That dry look comes from the paint being absorbed further into the drywall than the already paint surfaces that are not poruous at all. Build up the paint with a minimum of 2 coats before painting the whole wall. This should solve your problem.

Hope this helps,
Dan
r0ckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Contractor

One thing that you have all forgotton is texture. Often a repair will show up as a smooth spot on a wall textured by rolling or spraying. I often skimcoat walls for this reason.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Contractor

I find that a lot of walls are rolled, then when a patch is made, they 'brush' it on (like they're painting a fence or something (which is what Teetor is saying). I use a brush but only 'dab' it which mimics the textured brush look.Thinner on the edges, thicker in the middle, go past the edges a good bit too.

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote