Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

Why has my white paint work turned yellow

I have painted my landing doors, frames, coving and skirting board twice, as the first time I painted it it turned yellow. It has now turned yellow again, but not all of it. It was all painted at the same time with the same paint. Same of the skirting board is still white while other sections have turned yellow. I also painted the coving in my bedroom which has also turned yellow. I understand that lack of sun light can effect the paint. My bedroom has a lot of sunlight, so I don't understand why it has turned yellow or why some of the paint on my landing has turned yellow but not all of it. The landing has the same amount of light all round. Do I have to paint the whole thing again for the third time, and if so what paint should I use. On the previous occasions I used Dulux Gloss pure white paint. Please help!

S. Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

We need more info; what did you paint with exactly, and was it primed first? Saying you painted something and it turned yellow isn't much to go on...latex or oil? MDF or pine?

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

do you smoke? might be a stain bleed, and nicotine is a bleeder
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Is it oil or latex?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

If it's oil, it almost always yellows after 2 or 3 years. I don't know exactly why, but, I'm sure it has something to do with the oils used to manufacture the paint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

I sanded the old paint down on the wooden pine frames, MDF moulded doors and plasterboard coving, and painted it. The pine skirting boards were newly replaced. I primed them and then painted. The paint is oil based. No one in my house smokes. The paint work has turned yellow after about three months and then again after I painted it for the second time three months later.
S. Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Alton View Post
I sanded the old paint down on the wooden pine frames, MDF moulded doors and plasterboard coving, and painted it. The pine skirting boards were newly replaced. I primed them and then painted. The paint is oil based. No one in my house smokes. The paint work has turned yellow after about three months and then again after I painted it for the second time three months later.
White oil paint yellows, it will yellow quicker in darker places and some will yellow quicker than others. When I used to run oil for trim we would give a gallon 2 shots of black, it would slow the yellowing process. Off whites will also help. Like I said some brands yellow quicker than others.