Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

White substance on walls--not masonry

Hello,
One of the rooms in my home has a white substance that keep appearing on the walls, even after painting. The room is on the 2nd floor and the walls are exterior. The room is over our garage and there are no moisture problems there. We either didn't notice this problem or it didn't exist until we painted the room a hunter green, now it is a dark blue and it is still there. It doesn't look like effloresense, but I don't know what it is. I was wondering if I prime the walls with a primer used for smoke damage, if that would help. Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated. Thanks

joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

The old paint could be experiencing what is called "chalking" But this is still do to a moisture problem.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #3

OK, thanks. So what should I do? Do I need to tear down the walls or is there something short of that?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Chalking is the result of a breakdown of the ingredients in the paint - usually brought on by sunlight (so normally this applies to exterior paints) - but let's assume it is chalking. I guess it has a chalky feel to it?

If it were crystals that you see and feel, something like sugar, then it may be efflorescence but if you don't have a moisture problem - it's not that. But we assume you know what a 'moisture problem looks like.

Could just be a bad quality or old paint...could this be? Either way, I think you should apply an acrylic primer (something equivalent to BM's Fresh Start, then recoat.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #5

yeah, i've seen effloresence and this isn't it and I can't imagine having a moisture problem. I'm not sure what kind of paint we used, but I'll find out, but it didn't appear until we painted it, so it is definitely possible that it is lower quality paint. I will try the BM fresh start and report back my results, but it won't be for a few weeks. THanks a lot
Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

A picture sure would help
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

The best way to fix is to pole sand the wall, prime with oil based zinnser coverstain primer tinted to the color you are painting and paint the wall with benjamin moore Regal line of paint. (eggshell,matte,flat)

http://www.AlandBriansPainting.com
BrianP3222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #8

THanks a lot.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #9

Did you let the paint dry thoroughly before you noticed the white stuff??
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 12-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #10

yes, the paint was dry before the white stuff showed up.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #11

Darn...sometimes paint that hasn't dried completely will show light-scatterring effects that appear white. Particularly up here where people try to paint exterior walls in the cold - and right away notice something odd, and white. There, the paint hasn't had a chance to coalesce that is form a film and the resin is still soft. Still sort of bumpy, so it appears whiter.

Will continue pondering this...does it actually come off?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #12

thanks. i've tried to clean it off and when it's wet, you don't notice it, but when it dries, it's back
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #13

We use 100% acrylic primers like I said, like Fresh Start because I like acrylic resins in general.

I don't like cheap paints because they are mostly based on vinyl resin and I don't like 'vinyl' resin paints especially - in darker colours - as the cheaper paints have more fillers in them like calcium carbonate (that are white) and less % of colour. Hence aa greater chance of failure.

This may make no technical sense and I am sure other painter pros may disagree - but there you go... knowing where you are and what brand of paint you used may help.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #14

I think it was Behr and we are in NJ. thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

another one? Behr paint... and then why does my paint job not work. CHEAP PAINT>... do not use it.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote