Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

White Pickle over Shellac on Plywood

I am doing a ceiling out of plywood and then using trim to seperate into 4' x 4' panels. It is mounting inside a steel building.

The way its going up with the differences in plywood and the bluestains I am thinking maybe it would look good covered with a white pickle. I did this to the T&G and it looked good.

I had them clear zinser shellac the plywood before going up. Would a pickle penetrate this? The shellac was applied at the can thickness.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...I will probably try this tomorrow on a sample anyways!

here is the ceiling progress so far:

l_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #2

no ideas huh?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Hey bones, that's a pretty wild blue! A pickle solution comes in one of two forms, water or oil-based. Unfortunately for you, neither one will work on top of your clear shellac. :P Both the water-based and the oil need to soak a bit into the wood fiber, and once you've sealed it up with a topcoat product like shellac (or polyurethane) this process can no longer occur. Apart from sanding those panels, and then applying the pickle, I'm not too sure how you might get the pickle to adhere and stay put.
TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

paint would go over top right? what about thinning paint down and painting over top, would it let the grain show through a bit?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Paint, especially water down, wouldn't really go over it very well either. Part of the reason is most paints nowadays are latex or water-based so they won't stick to your shellac-based product. Even though you could probably get it to stick initially it may not last very long after, and if you ever have to clean those frames you'll most likely have a mess of paint chips or flaking occurring.
TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

we have done some pickling, usually Mixing about 25% water to a gallon of acrylic paint, roll and brush it on, letting it set for a few minutes, then ragging it off, I have never pickled over fresh shellac, that might be a problem, beings the paint can't soak into the grain, give it a shot on a panel and see how it goes. If it does not work at least you'll be able to wipe all the paint off, because the would is sealed
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
(the original)

Rewards Points: 570

Just a thought here. Tint some of your Bulls Eye with something like Mixol's Oxide White, then thin it down to about a 1# cut (out of the can it's 3#) and try wiping it on. The extra alcohol should dissolve the existing finish and allow some penetration. If it has multiple coats already you might have to wipe it down with denatured alcohol to remove some of shellac first.
I'd test on a scrap piece, and if it works, take the panels down to refinish. The alcohol fumes would be hellish up close to the ceiling.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

The alcohol fumes would be hellish up close to the ceiling.

Now, that is putting it mildly

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, pickle, shellac, stain