DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

White paint or just leave spackle?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jeffnc 
#1 ·
I recently decided to take care of a couple of nail heads that had popped out the wall (I'm told this is caused by houses swelling from the temperature changes).

I hammered the nail back in, and bought some spackle to cover up the area. I bought some paint as well, but I'll be honest- the walls are white, and the spackle dries to a color almost identical. I can only see it if I'm looking for it right now, or if standing at a certain angle to see the chaulky reflection of the spackle compared to the way matte paint reflects.

I'm worried about this paint not really being a perfect match anyway, and with the spackle being almost invisible, is it even worth painting?

I'm not sure if there is something to it I'm missing- perhaps dried spackle needs to be sealed to prevent it from crumbling or something? Or is paint just cosmetic for situations in which the walls weren't already white??

#2 ·
First thing you should have done after driving the nails in was run a screw in to the stud that would hold the nail in place.I try to run one in right beside the nail and let the head of the screw catch the head of the nail to hold it.Then after the patch is dry sand prime and paint.You don't want bare putty on the wall for several reasons.

#3 ·
That's a pretty solid idea, but not applicable now as I've already puttied. I'll keep it in mind for next time!

So you say bare putty is bad- figured, but couldn't come up with a solid reason why. Got any details you can elaborate on?

Also, as far as Primer... I get why it is important when painting, but in this situation (white walls, white paint, white putty), is there really enough benefit to warrant it?

I didn't buy any from the hardware store, and in fact they didn't even say I needed it (and this is the sort of place that would have been happy to make another buck by telling me I did). Would it still be applicable in your opinion, and why if so?

#4 ·
The spackle will discolor and collect dirt over time. Might not see it now, but you will.
As far as touch up, lots depends on what sheen the paint is. The higher the sheen, the more noticeable/ more difficult the t/up.
If it's just flat- I'd use a mini roller ( so the texture looks the same as surrounding area) and hit it a couple of time, feathering out the last one .

#5 ·
Interesting. Sad thing is, I just tried some of the paint- The dried spackle color is clearly closer to the original paint color. I had brought in a chip of the old paint for Benjamin Moore to match, and waited for the new paint to dry and everything. I knew it wasn't an exact science, but I didn't expect the spackle to be a better match!

Wondering if I should bring in a spot of spackle and tell them to match THIS. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.