Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

Where do painters feature in the food chain.

Do house painters make a decent amount of money in USA.?
or is it just a living.
How bout if you are one guy or maybe a painting buddy?

nerd_flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

You can make a decent living if you get good at it. The right companies will pay for good painters.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Most painters I know make a decent living and have stayed reasonably busy during the recession although those tied to industrial and new construction have suffered a bit in my area. The union work seems strong as well. Even the crappy painters still seem to get work spraying walls at WalMart or turning over student rentals.

Those that do mainly detailed interior work seem to do alright and most still have waiting lists. I work mainly on antique homes and buildings so can stay as busy as I want to but have been held back by a leg thing for a year or so. I have also branched out into more comprehensive restorations and am slowly shifting gears away from hands on to project management and color consulting. My clients and their real estate agents want fair and competitive bids but are smart enough to know when they are being low balled and that most of us will walk away from ridiculous bid expectations. They tend to be loyal to the pool of people known to do nice work on their places and I don't mind losing a bid to most in that pool. We all give our clients bragging rights when the work is done.

More than a few painters in my area have gotten out of at least the more production oriented exterior painting business if they can afford to do so. Or they severely limit their new business effort to people who are willing to pay for good work. College Painters and such ilk, with spray on wash off paint, can have the rest and can low bid each other to Hell and back as far as most are concerned. As a result, it is getting harder to find craftsman that will scaffold, prep and paint an old Queen Anne though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

and there is a definite connection, inversely proportional to the amount of time worked, of the life expectancy of painters here.

the more paint they suck, the sooner they die.

sad but true unless you don't like painters.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Newb

My father-in-law who once worked in Grand Rapids, which is one of Michigan's bigger towns made around $120,000-$150,000 a year, and now works in northern MI which has a soft economy, but he now makes around $80,000 a year. He does mainly new construction for a few of Northern Michigan's higher end builders.
NewImage is offline   Reply With Quote