DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

When to rent airless sprayer?

17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tcleve4911 
#1 ·
I am preparing to purchase a new house and according to wife every room in the house will need to be painted.

The room is roughly divided into rooms with ceramic tile and rooms that had carpet. The previous owners were negligent dog owners and the dogs destroyed the carpeted areas in the house. Therefore, in most of the rooms, I'm dealing with finished sheet rock, some ugly trim, and subfloors.

The wallspace that needs to painted in the rooms with only subfloor total roughly 2300 square feet. I know that I'm looking at roughly 6-7 gallons if I use rollers and brushes.

I am considering renting an airless sprayer for the subfloor rooms because I don't paint alot (kindof hate painting) and wagners appear to be junk. I've getting quotes of around $70-$85 dollars a day for an airless sprayer.

Will it be cost effective to rent an airless sprayer? (All walls are currently painted flat white)

How much time can I save? Cound an inexperienced guy finish painting in one 24 hour period?

How much better is the finish? Should I backroll?

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated. I've been a long time reader of this forum but just signed up today. I hope to become more involved in the community. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Big question- Have you ever used one, do you know how?
It's not as easy as you might think, and things happen real quick.
You can make a mess that will take more effort to fix in seconds than the time saved by doing it the ol fashioned way.

#4 ·
Strap on your painters cap, set up a good roller and pan, or just a 5'r with a drain grate and go to town, first off with a sprayer you loose 20-30% to overspray, and that overspray goes everywhere, next the clean-up is difficult, and like ones before have said, no experience could lead to a bigger fix issue.

Mark

#5 ·
Well, as you might imagine, Ive never called him and said "oaky, on your mark, go", and neither of us are painters by trade, but I have a friend who is a huge fan of spraying versus brushing and rolling, has been for years, but I swear that, after watching him go about this a few times, I could beat him, using a brush and roller, hands down, every time. He does a fine job with it, and is actually quite proficient, but any time that he saves in actual painting, is more than made up for in preparation, moving around with the extra equipment, etc. Get your drop clots in place, have your ladder, brushes, rollers, pans, etc. ready to go, and you will be surprised how quicly you can do a room. Typically, for a ceiling, I brush the corners of an end wall and half of each side wall, roll that section, then brush the remaining corners, then roll the rest of it. I would try to eradicate the dog odor first though, because, if it still lingers, you might want to consider priming the walls with Kilz, or a comparable product.

#6 ·
Even if you rent an airless you still need to take into consideration that you will still need to back roll the surfaces you are spraying. You will have to mask off windows and any thing else you do not want paint on. Nothing for nothing, but you really should be at least a little experienced with an airless sprayer before renting one. They are very efficient in the right hands and situation. Not all situations warrant using one. For interior re paints I would not use one, unless I didn't have to worry about the floors and was primining and painting everything, then I would spray primer on all ceilings and walls, then spray all ceilings. I would still roll and brush the walls.
n

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.