Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What's up with Navajo White?

Sale on interior paint at the local store. I wanted just plain white but all they had on sale was Navajo White. What's up with that? Is just plain white a little too intense for interior homes? I noticed Navajo White is the standard for interior paint colors.

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Simple white is a popular color for trim, but not for walls in my experience. People consider it too stark and impersonal, although it can be a good choice for people with a lot of art work or very colorful furniture. Navajo white, along with the many other shades of beige, remain popular because of their perceived warmth, and for people who are hesitant of having color in their homes (the majority, for legit and questionable reasons) it allows them to be 'daring' and retain a universal appeal.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
Simple white is a popular color for trim, but not for walls in my experience. People consider it too stark and impersonal, although it can be a good choice for people with a lot of art work or very colorful furniture. Navajo white, along with the many other shades of beige, remain popular because of their perceived warmth, and for people who are hesitant of having color in their homes (the majority, for legit and questionable reasons) it allows them to be 'daring' and retain a universal appeal.

navajo white daring, I like it.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you like the look, Navajo White goes well with woodwork. My Benjamin Moore off-white color fan has something like 160 other possibilities though. Of the factory mixes, I have always liked atrium white or even super white.

White, white strikes me as too stark and it shows dirt. Off whites have black, yellow, brown, sienna, burnt umber tints to them that makes them not so glaring.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #5

Navajo, as well as many other factory mixed whites and colors are on sale to blow them out. They will no longer make any factory mixed colors, so these are clearance. You can get some really good prices on top of the line paints. That's Benjamin Moore of course. I've bought a few myself.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

I think Joe hit the real reason - there getting rid of stock. I haven't used navaho in quite a while. Real popular 15 years ago here.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

My local BM store is selling gallons for 10 and quarts for 5, in every product line, and that's about 75% off original price. The selection is quite thin now but you can still find something useful for some project. I was told that even black will not be a factory made color in the future, which sucks. Has anyone else heard this? Store made blacks are not true black and don't ever dry hard enough to be durable.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

I have heard it and I think the problem is BM has so many lines now it's taking up huge inventory space. I suspect after they shake out and eliminate some of the older lines, we might we a few fact. colors back. But will be a while.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

They were getting a lot of complaints from some of the Native American coalitions that were opposed to the name "Navajo White." You won't see any more paint lines with Indian references in them anymore.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4

That is a fact. The Aztec Gold is a thing of the past. Iriqois Indigo is out too. Comanche Caramel will never be sold again because of the scalpings that took place at the S-W store in Texas. In fact, I think this is what started everything. Scalpings are just bad for business.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
dogris (06-03-2012), Gymschu (06-03-2012), jsheridan (06-03-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

And to make matters worse- scalpings were started by the Dutch- so no Dutch Boy for you!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #12

What? Are the Aztecs bitc*ing now too? Talk about scalpings at SW, everytime I walk out of there I feel like I've been scalped, or at least got a serious haircut.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
dogris (06-03-2012), Gymschu (06-03-2012), ltd (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #13

According to Wikipedia: Navajo White derives its name from its similarity to the background color of the Navajo Nation flag.

Ben Moore started phasing out the factory redi-mix colors over 2 years ago.
I don't like this turn of events one bit!
I liked the factory colors because:
(1) The uniformity of color from can to can and year to year.
(2) I could return any unused quarts, gallons, or 5's for a refund. Can't do that now because it's all store tinted.
(3) The exterior redi-mixes held up better and were more color-fast. This is especially true in the oil base dark colors.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4

All this talk of scalpings reminds me of the time Idris and Temel took a trip out West.

Idris & Temel, renowned explorers from the Black Sea region, decided to head West during the 1870's.

They provisioned in St. Louis, the edge of the frontier at the time. They saw some indian scalps for sale at the trading post for $50 each. That was a chunk of change back then.

Idris & Temel got all of their supplies-camping gear, a pair of horses, groceries, weaponry, gps system, and headed out on horseback.

Everything went fine the first day and they made a nice camp on a bluff overlooking the Missouri river.

At the crack of dawn, Idris went outside the tent to drain the main vein and he noticed that the camp was surrounded by indians. He could see their red skin and long hair and could barely contain his excitement.

Idris raced back into the tent and woke up Temel, "Temel, wake up! We are rich."
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
My local BM store is selling gallons for 10 and quarts for 5, in every product line, and that's about 75% off original price. The selection is quite thin now but you can still find something useful for some project. I was told that even black will not be a factory made color in the future, which sucks. Has anyone else heard this? Store made blacks are not true black and don't ever dry hard enough to be durable.
Where is your local store? I didn't see or hear this in my local store (my closest store is actually in Pa), but yours might be close enough to me to drive down and take a look at what they have.

pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote