Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

What's this under wallpaper

Out friends just bought an old house. They took off the wallpaper and this was under it. They did not know what it was but to me it looks like the sticky stuff from the wall paper. They said there is sheet rock under it. They want to paint the sheet rock and asked my to help them find out how to remove this stuff. I would imagine they/we need to know what it is first but they don't. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
Attached Images

Mstrlucky74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

That's an early version of drywall from what I can tell by the pic. Back in those days it did not have the paper facing on it like we see today. Whoever hung the paper likely did not prime or size the wall before hanging the paper and now, in the process of removing the wallpaper, some of the facing has been pulled off. There are lots and lots of posts/threads on here about repairing drywall and I won't get into the whole process right now, but it is a process that takes some time to complete.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
That's an early version of drywall from what I can tell by the pic. Back in those days it did not have the paper facing on it like we see today. Whoever hung the paper likely did not prime or size the wall before hanging the paper and now, in the process of removing the wallpaper, some of the facing has been pulled off. There are lots and lots of posts/threads on here about repairing drywall and I won't get into the whole process right now, but it is a process that takes some time to complete.

Thanks. Wow, that's the drywall? It looks like it has a bunch of different stuff stuck to it.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks. Wow, that's the drywall? It looks like it has a bunch of different stuff stuck to it.
Hard to tell from the picture, but, it looks like there is still some wallpaper stuck on there. It might even be paper from years ago that someone tried to remove and then they said "heck with it" and just papered over top. I've done several jobs like this in the past and it is no fun. You basically HAVE to get all the paper off, seal up the damaged drywall with Guardz or similar primer, and then skim coat. It's either that or tear out the drywall and install new.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 8

Well technically if you are going to at least clean up all the adhesive you can, then use Gardz, you don't might not have to get all the old paper off if you're going to skim coat well. If the old paper remnants are adhered to the wall really well, you should be fine (and this is the case where it's very difficult to get the paper off.) If the old paper isn't adhered that well, then it will bubble up later during the primer, skim coat, and paint applications (this is the case where it's not so hard to get the paper off to begin with, at least in the areas where it was bubbling.)
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Thanks.