What's Good Paint / Drywall Finishing - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

what's good paint / drywall finishing

So I never gave much thought about paint/painting... until I'm going to do my own home now and I want it done right.

I have a union painter friend who can get a good price on big buckets of paint, but I was wondering what brands everyone reccomends for primers, ceiling paint, and... uh, wall paint. What about the finish, is flat the easiest to work with?

I hear people saying you should skim coat the whole sheet of drywall to get an even surface for painting, what do you think?

I've always had such lousy results patching up holes and then trying to paint over, you can see the darn patch jobs. I guess it's all about the right tools, materials, and technique?

Advertisement

elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementx440 View Post
So I never gave much thought about paint/painting... until I'm going to do my own home now and I want it done right. I have a union painter friend who can get a good price on big buckets of paint, but I was wondering what brands everyone reccomends for primers, ceiling paint, and... uh, wall paint.
We have always just used the cheapo primer in 5 gallon containers where-ever we can get it cheap. Finish paint: Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams...(I'm sure there are others, especially by region)....Stay away from the Big Home store brands.

Quote:
What about the finish, is flat the easiest to work with?
It depends on the purpose of the room. Flat looks nice, but shouldn't be used in kitchens/baths...

Quote:
I hear people saying you should skim coat the whole sheet of drywall to get an even surface for painting, what do you think?
That is completely unneccesary...

Quote:
I've always had such lousy results patching up holes and then trying to paint over, you can see the darn patch jobs. I guess it's all about the right tools, materials, and technique?
Yes...You need to make the compound coats over the patches thin & wide.....to cover the areas. That is how they dissappear.....(if you coat only the areas directly 'around' the patch, you will end up with a very visible 'lump')
Example: If you have a nail hole - your final coat of compound will be about 6" wide when sanded.
If you have a quarter sized hole - your final coat of compound will be about 10" wide when sanded.

Below Picture Examples: The long vertical line is from ripping out a wall. Squares are from removed electrical outlets, holes are due to drywall anchors from wall mounted medical equipement (Hospital remodeling)

(BTW- Before anyone asks, the yellow stuff is just yellow colored mesh tape that we put up prior to doing 2 coats of durabond and a final coat of 'light-weight' redimix compound)

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-15-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I too would steer clear of the big boxes. If you're doing it yourself, the paint store brands like Benjamin Moore are much more forgiving.

As the previous poster said, you can use flat and it looks great, but they can be less durable. I would recommend a Matte finish if you can find it. If your areas are higher traffic, I would probably bump up to eggshell if they are really in busy areas, otherwise Matte should be fine. You can use the flat in the bedrooms and it will look great, and cover up a lot of those patching jobs too.

As for your kitchen/bath, just make sure you have something with mildewcide in it. Most of the 100% acrylic products out there now will stand up in a bathroom, but you still want to be at least at Eggshell for sheen or so. However, you don't have to be at semi-gloss anymore like you used to have to, unless you want that kind of shine in the bathroom.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

All "brands" have cheap lines, and better lines
The premium lines (they also make cheap stuff) from Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Pittsburgh Paints I can recommend and are all available nationally
Their could be some good regional brands available near you also

For primers, if needed, those brands all have good ones
So does Zinsser

Flat sheens would generally be slightly easier to use/work/hide imperfections

A skim coat is a long way to go and under normal circumstances not needed

Patches need to be sanded and feathered well, primed properly, and covered with good quality paint to not show
Quality tools, materials, and technique, would pretty much sum it up
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Is this a new construction project? Are the rooms going to be different colors? Is all the paint going to be the same color?

Flat paint is the best at hiding imperfections but not as washable as a sheen and not scrubbable at all.

If going with a flat finish paint, then go for the high build primer. Your union buddy will be able to get a very good price.

If you want to use satin or eggshell top coat, get a better primer. Don't let price dictate which primer you use if you are going to topcoat with anything but flat.

The high build primers will smooth the drywall and hide some taping imperfections, but I don't trust them to accept a sheened topcoat. Some claim uniform porosity, which is what you want. Maybe your union friend can tell you more. I don't use them much.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by joewho; 03-15-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: condensing
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote