Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Thumbs down

What's The Best Thing to Clean Paint Brushes after Using Oil Base Paint

I have used Menial Spits and it sucks.

I need something that will take paint out of the brushes to get them clean.

The Menial Spits that I got from Wal-Mart sucks big time. I have been use it for over a week or two and the paint brushes still have paint in them.

I don't have all year to play around with this cheap stiff at $10.00 a gal. you would think it would clean them the frist time around.

nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

You are awre you aren' supposed to drink the "Menial Spits", right?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You can get a brush cleaner for whatever thinner or mineral spirits does not get out at a paint store. I use a type a grew up with in fine arts and you can it at an art supply store. A little can will last a long time. It is sort of like saddle soap in consistency. Still have to rinse the bulk out with solvent though. A steel comb will help too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

First off, are you using oil based paint?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

you might have picked up some sort of green ,as in going green paint thinner by mistake ,i have done the same thing.get some old fashioned paint thinner and you will be fine.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Yes I am using Benjamen Moore FRESH START Premium Primer ALKYD ALL-PURPOSE PRIMER. Very good Primer.

What would you use to clean this with?

I was reading about cleaning a paint brush with a wire brush does this hurt the brush?

Can you use it with LATEX or OIL base paints?

How do you get the correct time on here I am in the Eastern Time Zone and it is 6:57P.M. not 10:56P.M.?

Last edited by nhoj; 04-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

In 30 years- Mineral Spirits has never failed me in cleaning oil based paints.

Could be cleaning technique.
NO you cannot clean anything but oil with mineral spirits.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
In 30 years- Mineral Spirits has never failed me in cleaning oil based paints.

Could be cleaning technique.
NO you cannot clean anything but oil with mineral spirits.

What I was talking about was using a wire brush to clean the paint out of a brush that has hardened during painting.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,030

I clean mine with a spell checker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

No, this is what you were attempting to talk about. But not doing it very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I have used Menial Spits and it sucks.

I need something that will take paint out of the brushes to get them clean.

The Menial Spits that I got from Wal-Mart sucks big time. I have been use it for over a week or two and the paint brushes still have paint in them.

I don't have all year to play around with this cheap stiff at $10.00 a gal. you would think it would clean them the frist time around.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
What I was talking about was using a wire brush to clean the paint out of a brush that has hardened during painting.
Hey John...

I'm not real familiar with this Ben Moore product you're using, but it hardened in the brush during application? Methinks you might be painting a tad too slow.

If that paint has hardened (dried, cured, set, solidified, whatever) in your brush, no amount of mineral spirits for any length of time is gonna clean it. Might want to try soaking it in paint remover for a couple of hours...
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

[quote=ric knows paint;897065]Hey John...

I'm not real familiar with this Ben Moore product you're using, but it hardened in the brush during application? Methinks you might be painting a tad too slow.

If that paint has hardened (dried, cured, set, solidified, whatever) in your brush, no amount of mineral spirits for any length of time is gonna clean it. Might want to try soaking it in paint remover for a couple of hours...[/quote]

As you said if hard the brush is ruined and soaking in remover will not help it any( trust me on that)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Attempting to clean hardened brushes is a fool's errand, unless you're in the duster brush resale business. It makes no sense economically or functionally. The cost of the chemicals and time cost involved exceeds the cost of replacement. And the brush will never perform the same again and will continue to deposit bits of loosened hard paint from inside the ferrule area, paint you can't reach with the cleaning tool. It's really not worth it. Fully cleaning oil brushes to pre-use condition is slowly becoming less cost effective anyway, with the rising cost of thinner.
OP, soak the brushes in thinner, flex the bristles by pressing down to work the thinner into the ferrule, spin the brush out, then change the thinner. Repeat until the thinner remains clear. Some will flame the flexing of the bristles saying it damages the brush. I disagree. After the second flush, take a wire brush and brush off the stuff at the ferrule. Some will flame using a wire brush. I disagree. Keep the wire brush off the tips and you'll be fine. You can use a brass brush, which is easier on the paint brush.
I use dirty thinner if I have some to do the first rinse, to take the brunt of the paint. Save your thinner, it's recyclable. As it sits, the sludge will settle on the bottom. When I was doing a lot of oil work, I put the used thinner in a plastic gallon. when it got full, I punched a whole in the side above the sludge line and drained it through a strainer into a clean gallon container. It's not perfect, but can be used to thin paint and clean brushes.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Attempting to clean hardened brushes is a fool's errand, unless you're in the duster brush resale business. It makes no sense economically or functionally. The cost of the chemicals and time cost involved exceeds the cost of replacement. And the brush will never perform the same again and will continue to deposit bits of loosened hard paint from inside the ferrule area, paint you can't reach with the cleaning tool. It's really not worth it. Fully cleaning oil brushes to pre-use condition is slowly becoming less cost effective anyway, with the rising cost of thinner.
OP, soak the brushes in thinner, flex the bristles by pressing down to work the thinner into the ferrule, spin the brush out, then change the thinner. Repeat until the thinner remains clear. Some will flame the flexing of the bristles saying it damages the brush. I disagree. After the second flush, take a wire brush and brush off the stuff at the ferrule. Some will flame using a wire brush. I disagree. Keep the wire brush off the tips and you'll be fine. You can use a brass brush, which is easier on the paint brush.
I use dirty thinner if I have some to do the first rinse, to take the brunt of the paint. Save your thinner, it's recyclable. As it sits, the sludge will settle on the bottom. When I was doing a lot of oil work, I put the used thinner in a plastic gallon. when it got full, I punched a whole in the side above the sludge line and drained it through a strainer into a clean gallon container. It's not perfect, but can be used to thin paint and clean brushes.

Thank-You for your advise.

After reading this I would say the best cleaning agent is thinner not Numeral Spirits.

If the brush is full of paint or half full of paint after a days job I now see that thinner will clean the brush better than any Numeral Spirits very dreamed of doing. The Numeral Spirits that I got is White and has NO Order to it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Thank-You for your advise.

After reading this I would say the best cleaning agent is thinner not Numeral Spirits.

If the brush is full of paint or half full of paint after a days job I now see that thinner will clean the brush better than any Numeral Spirits very dreamed of doing. The Numeral Spirits that I got is White and has NO Order to it.
John,

If these brushes are hard- it's going to be difficult, if not impossible to restore them to a condition that I'd want to use 'em on a job that requires any kind of fine, or good quality finish. Having said that, if these brushes are hard as you say, restoring them with "thinner" (you know, as opposed to "mineral spirits) ain't gonna work either.

JSheridan has described a process to effectively clean a brush, used with an oil product, that hasn't completely "set" yet - but, if the product has set, it's going to require something far more potent than "thinner" to restore. And, btw, "thinner" and "mineral spirits" may not be exactly synonymous terms (depending on the context), but for all intents and purposes, they have the same solvency strength...

So...that goes back to my original statement that some won't agree with - soak 'em in paint remover. But if you're concerned that remover may be a bit too caustic and could actually damage the filament (it won't), consider using a product like Savogran's Quik-Eze Brush Cleaner (for hardened - not wet - brushes). There are other similar brands on the market, but that's the one I've always used with pretty good results, and far more effective than soaking 'em in thinner, spirits, whatever...(P.S. - from a compositional perspective of products like Quik-Eze Brush Cleaner, the other, more general term for this type of product is...um...paint remover - because, it removes paint). Oh, and invest in a brush comb as sdsester recommended.

Good luck, but whatever you decide to do with these brushes, you've already spent more time, energy, thought, and perhaps dollars, than what these brushes are probably worth. Pitch 'em, replace 'em, and next time clean the new brushes before they've had a chance to set.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 04-12-2012 at 08:19 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote