Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

What would be good quality paint

i have sereval rooms to paint in my new place and i was wondering what is a good quality paint that wont brake the bank but which will give me a good finish and is easy to work with. also would i roll first and cut second or do i cut in then roll

kenny357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #2

I like Porter AcriSheild and I like to trim first.

blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #3

I like Behr paints... IMHO as good as Bejamin Moore, but cheaper... Also cut in first then paint... this minimizes the brush strokes that's visable in the finish...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Property Manager/Landlord

For a HO, I would certainly check out anything from Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams. I would hesitate to use anything sold by Lowe's or Home Depot (with very few exceptions).

Also- do a forum search on Behr paint. You might be in for some surprises.

steve
AlbrightPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Any of the premium lines from Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburgh, will make your project go faster, smoother, with less problems and less product.

I say premium lines, because those "brands" all make "contractor/commercial" grade products also

Well worth it for the premium products

Same for the brushes and rollers
The better quality ones are worth every penny for the time and hassles saved, and the finished project looks

For the best finish, always cut a wall, then roll it
One wall at a time
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbrightPM View Post
Also- do a forum search on Behr paint. You might be in for some surprises.

steve

Wow... I never knew so many people had so many problems with Behr... I must be lucky or something, cause I used BM and other paints have found Behr to work quite well...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakker View Post
I like Behr paints... IMHO as good as Bejamin Moore, but cheaper...
There is absolutely ZERO comparison between Behr & Ben Moore... Ben Moore exceeds way beyond and in every aspect compared to Behr... Behr dont even exsist in my book...

They claim Behr is rated #1... in my opinion Behr may be the top paint that Home Depot sells but it certainly is not rated #1 compared to all paints... Thats where I beleive that people get confused on...

There are plenty of highly qualified, professional opinions about Behr on these sites...

I agree with Slick but want to add California paints to the list.....
JMGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #8

california, benjermin moore, pitt, and shermin williams, are all very good there are alot of different types of paints like pervo, royal from benjermin moore which one is an all around paint to use
Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
good quality paint that wont brake the bank but which will give me a good finish and is easy to work with.
For the same money, you might want to try Pro Mar 2oo from SW. Seems pretty good, nothing special to me though. I have had very bad luck with Behr and also some pretty good luck. Just seems like a little different animal. Not sure I would want to take a job using it.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Any of the premium lines from Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburgh, will make your project go faster, smoother, with less problems and less product.

I say premium lines, because those "brands" all make "contractor/commercial" grade products also

Well worth it for the premium products

Same for the brushes and rollers
The better quality ones are worth every penny for the time and hassles saved, and the finished project looks

For the best finish, always cut a wall, then roll it
One wall at a time
We always use Benjamin Moore; or Sherwin Williams if requested. I don't find enough difference between their mid priced line and the premium grade to justify the cost difference for wall paint. For trim we do like the top products. Just volunteer yourself for a couple of hours of beating with some bamboo, it will be good practice for the torture you are going to give yourself with Behr or Lowes' American Tradition. I know all those who are going to jump in with the great ratings for these products from Consumer Reports, but the proof is in the real world , not on a test bench. Look at the products the pros use, that is what works.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #11

thanks for the input i was just overwhelm with all of the different types of paint, i appreciate all of the help and tips from everyone in the forum because i like to think that working smarter beats working harder
Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Lehigh Valley PA

I would definitely recommend going with Sherwin Williams if you have one close by.
We bought our first house 3 years ago and wanted to paint 2 of the bedrooms right away. We didn't know about what paint to use or have much experience painting at all.
We went to SW and purchased everything there, including brushes, pans, rollers and all the paint.
Girlfriend decided she wanted the sponge look on the walls with a dark red base and a lighter on top.
I never did anything like this and both of my rooms look like a pro came in and did everything.
Now I'm remodeling my bathroom and HATING myself for buying Behr. Compared to SW it just plain sucks. Seriously. I can't explain all the differences but I can tell there are.
The main one was how well SW laid down on the wall and gave a super smooth finish and the Behr dried too quick and didn't cover for . That's putting it nicely.

Good luck with your painting. Spend a few extra $ and save a LOT of headaches and time.
Nhrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
They're all fixer-uppers

Maybe its about time we had some "sticky" posts. I mean, this is a perfect example. This is a question we have answered 50 times. Kenny - I mean no insult to you whatsoever, I am perfectly happy fielding these questions over again as I'm sure others are too. But I think it would make more sense to have sticky posts on this forum for stuff like this. It would be found easier and be more efficient. Thoughts anyone?

Oh, and to contribute, I truly hate behr paints. I actually consider them to be more expensive than Ben Moore or Sherwin because they don't cover at all. It takes coat after coat. Some colors, including the peachy white I recently saw that my friend had painted his garage door header in, I would honestly say match up 3 coats behr to 1 coat Sherwin Duration.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
Pro Painter

I'd like to suggest Sherwin/Williams Superpaint. It's a long lasting, mid priced paint, easy to work with, with a good warranty.

Pro-mar 200 is also good, it's very, similar to superpaint without the warranty. It's a contractor paint, basically lower cost.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote