Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What will last?

I have a shabby looking basement and I want to start fixing it up. It has a peeling coat of paint on it right now and I was wondering how a textured coat would look. My basement is damp but not wet, so is a primer good then maybe a textured paint or is a basement water sealer a must if it is a damp basement wall? Thanks for any replies.

BlaJoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 79

What will last?

For unfinished below grade cement, I would only use UGL Drylock as a sealer and finish. Use this link to check out the product: http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/mas...ofer/latex.php
I have used it and it will help to eliminate the moisture, but I would not trust it to completely seal out moisture leakage because of possible pinholes in the finish, and the moisture barrier really needs to be on the outside of the wall. Because of possible continued moisture issues I would stay away from any texturing afterward, but the room will look a lot better and brighter with this coating on it.

kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kkeith For This Useful Post:
BlaJoRon (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #3

What will last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeith View Post
For unfinished below grade cement, I would only use UGL Drylock as a sealer and finish. Use this link to check out the product: http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/mas...ofer/latex.php
I have used it and it will help to eliminate the moisture, but I would not trust it to completely seal out moisture leakage because of possible pinholes in the finish, and the moisture barrier really needs to be on the outside of the wall. Because of possible continued moisture issues I would stay away from any texturing afterward, but the room will look a lot better and brighter with this coating on it.
Thanks kkeith, I am going to take your advice on the product.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

What will last?

Ron, Drylok only works over bare masonry, and is ineffective over paint. I think KKeith missed that point, it happens. The peeling paint you suffer is probably due to the moisture pass through. If it peels down to bare masonry, you could use Drylok on the bare spots. However, the moisture may go around that, leaving you with new, non previous peeling areas. It's a tough spot. How bad is the peeling, % wise, and does the peeling go down to the bare surface?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

What will last?

Sorry, yes I was thinking of bare cement. No coating placed on top can make the existing paint stick better.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What will last?

Before we go further, what kind of material is in your basement? Is there any kind of surface coat of material or is it raw masonry, concrete, concrete block, rough plaster coat, etc. Any guesses how long the paint on it now has been there?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

What will last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Ron, Drylok only works over bare masonry, and is ineffective over paint. I think KKeith missed that point, it happens. The peeling paint you suffer is probably due to the moisture pass through. If it peels down to bare masonry, you could use Drylok on the bare spots. However, the moisture may go around that, leaving you with new, non previous peeling areas. It's a tough spot. How bad is the peeling, % wise, and does the peeling go down to the bare surface?

The peeling is bad, like 90% peeled.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #8

What will last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Before we go further, what kind of material is in your basement? Is there any kind of surface coat of material or is it raw masonry, concrete, concrete block, rough plaster coat, etc. Any guesses how long the paint on it now has been there?

It is just concrete block and I have been living here for 7 years so it has been like that at least that long.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Painting Contractor

What will last?

Then it sounds to me like my original solution might be best. Be sure to try to scrape off any remaining paint to save yourself some work in the future. If there is any efflorescence, ie. salt like residue that comes out and dries on the cement surface, be sure to wire brush that off and follow any other instructions on the can. If there is actual visible water leaking through holes in the wall, those spots can be sealed with another cement like plug made by the same company. The remaining 10% of original paint may come off in the future, but those can be touched up with the Drylock, which should give you the best results.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

What will last?

Quote:
Then it sounds to me like my original solution might be best. Be sure to try to scrape off any remaining paint to save yourself some work in the future. If there is any efflorescence, ie. salt like residue that comes out and dries on the cement surface, be sure to wire brush that off and follow any other instructions on the can. If there is actual visible water leaking through holes in the wall, those spots can be sealed with another cement like plug made by the same company. The remaining 10% of original paint may come off in the future, but those can be touched up with the Drylock, which should give you the best results.

Okay, I appreciate the info!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Windy Painters

Send a message via Skype™ to Windy Painters

What will last?

At first I would spray all problematic areas with XIM Peel Bond primer / sealer. It will seal peeling paint. It's like liquid rubber. Topcoat with Drylock or similar product.
Chicago painter
Lincoln Park Painter
Windy Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,182

What will last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Painters View Post
At first I would spray all problematic areas with XIM Peel Bond primer / sealer. It will seal peeling paint. It's like liquid rubber. Topcoat with Drylock or similar product.
Chicago painter
Lincoln Park Painter

Read the can

You CANNOT apply Drylock over any other coating.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

What will last?

Take a look at amesresearch.com. They make several "liquid rubber" coatings. I've used their blue max and their block and wall - amazing stuff AND can be applied over a painted surface. I would never finish a basement without it.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Windy Painters

Send a message via Skype™ to Windy Painters

What will last?

You are right. My mistake. It requires regular topcoat.
Windy Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

What will last?

Quote:
I was going to suggest applying drylock to the failing areas, but it looks like, with 90% failure, it will be a full coat. The trouble with this, as I found out, is that sealing one area simply forces the moisture to find an alternate way around the patch. It's not a good option from a contractor standpoint, but for a homeowner, who's always present, it can be stayed on top of. Good advice Kevin.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote