Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #1

Share |

What went wrong, and how to fix it?

I have a problem with curling/seperating wallpaper in our bathroom. We used moisture-resistant green drywall and finished the seams, etc. with joint compound. Next, we applied Zinsser Shieldz universal wallcovering primer/sealer and papered a couple days later. After about a year, the curling began, and nothing I tried could smooth it down. I finally gave up and removed the paper, but found that anyplace we had joint compound on the wall, the Shieldz was flaking off of. Could you please shed some light on what caused the problem? I wonder if we should have used another type of primer before using the wallcovering primer? What do you think? I'm planning to prime and paint now, and would appreciate advice on the proper primer to use. Thanks

Last edited by Inneed; 05-10-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add info
Inneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

First you said you used joint compound on seams. You did mean joint compound and tape right? You were not trying to get the wallpaper to substitute for a tape joint I hope?

I could still do cute little kids rooms toward the end but I turned serious papering with outrageously expensive papers over to the pros ages ago. It sounds to me like your wall prep was fine But, especially with new drywall and even with self-adhesive backed papers? You have to apply "sizing" under papers. The sizing is sort of a primer for paper or equalizer between the wall and the paper surface I guess but with elasticity that contracts and expands as the paper does while still holding on to the wall.

If your plan now is to paint and not paper, just get all the residue off. Patch any damage, prime again and put two nice coats of paint on. You should be fine.

Last edited by user1007; 05-10-2011 at 06:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

After you get it all smoothed out, prime with Zinnser Gardz. Great sealer for paper , and the paper gets good adhesion.
I never thought Sheilds was a very good paper primer, just had the most name recognition.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Inneed (05-15-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

It's a bathroom & moisture issues almost always cause seams to curl. In fact, I've never seen a papered bathroom that DID'NT have this problem.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
It's a bathroom & moisture issues almost always cause seams to curl. In fact, I've never seen a papered bathroom that DID'NT have this problem.

I have. Many of them.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

Thanks sdester for your help. And yes, we did use tape. You're probably right about the moisture issue as it is worst above the tub which is also where the highest pitch of the cathederal ceiling meets the wall. We have no ceiling vent system, either. Oops, something to think about...
Inneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
After you get it all smoothed out, prime with Zinnser Gardz. Great sealer for paper , and the paper gets good adhesion.
I never thought Sheilds was a very good paper primer, just had the most name recognition.

That's the problem
Shields, sucks as a primer.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote