Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

What types of paints should I get?

Buying a house and will be painting a number of rooms. What is oil based generally used for & what is latex based used for?

Also, which rooms should I use semi-gloss & which rooms should have flat?

Thanks!

magic_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #2

Some folks like oil-base enamel for trim and cabinetry. Outside of that one use, oil-base interior paint is largely obsolete, and even that one product has a water-base substitute. Oil-base primers are more common, as they have stain-sealing properties water-base primers do not.

All ceilings and rooms without a lot of traffic can take flat or maybe a matte. You can usually use eggshell/satin on the remaining walls, and semi-gloss or gloss on the trim. Semi-gloss on the walls is not real common, but you should feel free to do whatever you want.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #3

I always use oil base paint in bath and shower areas. Mildew and mold will not grow on oil base paints.
The Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I always use oil base paint in bath and shower areas. Mildew and mold will not grow on oil base paints.
Mold and Mildew will grow on oil-base paint. All mold and mildew require is time and moisture. The ideal paints for a bathroom are specialty bathroom paints which contain mildewcides mixed in. In addition, improved ventilation above and beyond the lousy $15 Contractor-Special exhaust fan can do more than anything else to prevent fungus growth.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #5

Magic Man:

Oil based paints dry to harder films than latex paints, and so they stand up better on working surfaces, such as floors, shelves, mantles, window sills and anything else you put stuff down on or slide it across.

Latex paints dry to softer surfaces and are adequate for use on walls, ceilings, and stuff that you don't need to clean often. If you use a latex paint on a shelf, then the dust and dirt that settles on the shelf will become embedded in the soft latex paint, making it look dirty all the time.

Glossy paints like satin and semi-gloss are used where you need to clean your walls more often, such as in kitchens and bathrooms.

Flat paints are adequate to use where you rarely need to clean, such as ceilings.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Mold and Mildew will grow on oil-base paint. All mold and mildew require is time and moisture. The ideal paints for a bathroom are specialty bathroom paints which contain mildewcides mixed in. In addition, improved ventilation above and beyond the lousy $15 Contractor-Special exhaust fan can do more than anything else to prevent fungus growth.

SirWired
I beg to differ with you. I was a professional painter for 25 yrs and retired managing a large paint store and I will stand by my statement mildew or mold will not grow on oil base paint.
The Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I beg to differ with you. I was a professional painter for 25 yrs and retired managing a large paint store and I will stand by my statement mildew or mold will not grow on oil base paint.
Hammer:

I have nothing but respect for you and I congratulate you on your successful career.

However, in this instance, you are mistaken.

Take a look at this:
http://workflow.den.nps.gov/staging/...TB%2004-03.pdf

What it says is that natural drying oils like linseed oil and Tung oil are food for mildew, and avoiding mildew problems on paints starts with avoiding the use of oil based paints when a latex paint will suffice.

Or this web site:
http://www.kellymoore.com/site/howToArea

where it says:

"Mildew can grow on a painted surface because the paint film provides a food source for the mildew. Use the following guidelines to help reduce the chances of mildew growth:
  • Latex paint films are more mildew-resistant than alkyd or oil paint films (alkyd and oil paints provide a better food source for the mildew)."
And, I expect that you can find any number of reliable sources all saying the same thing.

Really, the problem is that there's no one teaching the subject of "Paint" anywhere, and so it's really about the most poorly understood technology in the entire home center. And, of course, a knowledge vaccuum is fertile ground for misconceptions and misinformation to grow and thrive in.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-13-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_man View Post
Buying a house and will be painting a number of rooms. What is oil based generally used for & what is latex based used for?

Also, which rooms should I use semi-gloss & which rooms should have flat?

Thanks!
Though I enjoy using oils for trim, cabinets, and doors, today's premium waterborne enamels are pretty much nearly as good, and the whites don't yellow in the absence of sunlight (like oils)

So you can do all water-based paints if you desire

You can paint whatever room walls whatever sheen you like
But the most popular sheens for living/bed room repaints are Eggshell and Matte
(matte is a 'washable flat' with a nearly undetectable sheen that might be called a mix of eggshell and flat)
Flat is mostly used for ceilings and by builders for walls
Not so much for repaints anymore (years ago it would have been #1)

Satin and Semi-Gloss are mostly used for trim
Walls...not so much
Some Kitchen and Bath wall paints are Pearl or Satin
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #9

All personal opinion. Go with a good paint, like Sherman Williams or Benni Moore. A lot of people say that latex and oil are very similar now and I agree. Both have the advantages/disadvantages. I like the latex for indoors, no strong fumes. Typically I do semi-gloss on the trim and a washable flat on the walls. Nice contrast, once again personal opinion.
gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 12

Sherman Williams

That dam Sherman guy sure does a lot of business
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
Paint Store Dude